Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I hit one and can't find it!!........

Old 08-27-2008, 07:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I hit one and can't find it!!........

I'm glad what I was trying to get across seems to be making sense.........I do agree that there are things we can learn about from every trail good or bad but like Jeff said, unless we get every last detail or better yet are there to help the information we usually get is something like "I checked up by the neighbors place, then down by the crick, I heard they go to water.....not sure what else to do"

THAT's when we all go nuts and tell the guy "What you need to do IS get off the computer and go back out and LOOK HARDER"

I'm not sure what the phenomenon is , whether it's simply a need to be the "Thread of the Day" sometimes or what, but why someone comes running here almost eager to post about not being able to find an animal really confuses me.

I don't want to seem like what I'm saying is insensitive to someone who is on the brink of losing an animal, I'm not.......you'll just know the thread I'm referring to the second you see it and you'll remember this thread.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

IMO there is nothing to be learned on a “lost one” thread that can’t already be found elsewhere. Maybe the MOST helpful thread could be an “almost lost one” where a guy has a tough track job and the effort put into the search paid off with a recovered animal.

The ones that fire me up more than anything are the ones where the poster comes out with
“I saw this big buck right at dark, but he was 30-35 yds with some brush in the way, but I knew if I didn’t shoot at him I would never have another chance like that. He was angled to me a little bit, and walking some so I let one fly.
After the shot I quickly climbed down so I could find him since it was almost dark and I had to work the next morning. I heard him crash out thru the woods when I was looking for him. Do you think the meat will still be good tomorrow evening? That’s the next chance I will get out to look for him.”
Old 08-27-2008, 07:58 AM
Fork Horn

like you said we do not need to tell the world about our mishaps. the majority do not know about hunting and those that are agianst it would like to give them these stories to stop hunting. i was at the property that i just got permission to hunt and his young daughter was saying that hunting is mean and not necessary. her dad asked where you learned that and she said school from her teacher. they talked about it at world day or week or some crap like that.

it is these 'educated' 'sophisticated' people that i cannot stand. they have no idea what it is let alone what happens in a slaughter house. and we are the 'mean' ones well i have no time for that..... sooo..

i sent my daughter to school today with a picture of a nice buck today. she was supposed to make a collage that represented who she is. i asked her do you want a picture of an animal or a bow because you like to do that with daddy she said she did. so we cut one out and she wrote on the paper. "i like to hunt with my daddy"
Old 08-27-2008, 08:01 AM
Typical Buck

Good post. I too get tired of readingSO many threads about looking for a wounded animal.

When I read the titleof this one Ithought you hit one with your car or something[8D]
Old 08-27-2008, 08:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

IMO there is nothing to be learned on a “lost one” thread that can’t already be found elsewhere. Maybe the MOST helpful thread could be an “almost lost one” where a guy has a tough track job and the effort put into the search paid off with a recovered animal.

The ones that fire me up more than anything are the ones where the poster comes out with
“I saw this big buck right at dark, but he was 30-35 yds with some brush in the way, but I knew if I didn’t shoot at him I would never have another chance like that. He was angled to me a little bit, and walking some so I let one fly.
After the shot I quickly climbed down so I could find him since it was almost dark and I had to work the next morning. I heard him crash out thru the woods when I was looking for him. Do you think the meat will still be good tomorrow evening? That’s the next chance I will get out to look for him.”
THAT is EXACTLY the type of post I had in mind when I said "you'll get your head handed to you".......almost word for word.

Just trust me, if that's YOU this year, quietly go back out and look and save us and the non-hunting reading public a dose of high blood pressure.
[:-]
Old 08-27-2008, 08:06 AM
Typical Buck

Yep. Good thread, and good advice from many.

If you find yourself in that situation and you have no desire to, or cannot continue the search any further because of work or some other excuse just TRUST me and keep it to yourself, I don't want to hear about it and neither does anybody else.[:@]
Never understood how somebody would stick a deer at dark knowing they didn't have the time that night, or the next day to track it.Lost count of the perople I know that start tracking too early after sticking one at dark, because theywant some light when they begin, or just won't sit it out for a few hours in the tree after dark.Plan on extensive tracking for every kill, and it'll make you a better hunter.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I read this I was like, huh Matt must have got one with the radiator and not the bow. Great post Matt. You are spot on in advising the use of pms and telephone. There are a ton of guys on here, that in the drop of a dime would get out of bed and help with a track job. Last year I took Rob up on his number for a night like this. Needless to say, I had never met him until 10:15 pm on a Monday night in October last year. We didn't find my friend's buck (he is still alive and even bigger this year), I did pick up something better that night. A friend to count on. Any PA'ers reading this, you can pm me, I plan on paying that one forward.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: BigDaddy12t

ORIGINAL: MNpurple

Matt, I agree with most all of your post and I am with you 100% on the folks that hit a deer, look for two hours and call it quits or have to get to work or school. Frankly it disgusts me. Everyone owes it to the animal they release on to put every ounce of themselves into succesfully finding that animal.

However, although some view this forumstrictly as entertainment, there's quite a bit of good info on here. If someone hits a deer and have put everything they have into it but still cannot find it, I think they as well as everyone else reading their post could benefit from the insight that will get thrown around. IF a deer is hit and the hunter PMs you or Rob or whomever else, they are getting one or two opionins and very well could be missing out on a key bit of insight someone else could offer and evryone else reading that post could also pick up those little tid bits that make the difference.

I agree with your post, but do think there are times many of us could benefit by some of those posts where everyone has a chance to chime in (assuming they have given there 100% before posting).
Glad someone else said this, I was thinking the same thing, but I was afraid of getting flamed for bringing it up. Even tho I feel the same way, I will never post about hitting an animal, and cant find it, strictly because I have no desire to get ripped apart.
MN, BigD I agree but the posts Matt was referring to IMO opinion were the "I looked for 2 hours and couldn't find it.....2 hours? Most would say, Get your ass back out there! If someone exhausts all avenues, then by all means, tactfully ask us for help. Key word, tactfully.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Bring a book. Bring a phone to text with. Bring something to eat. Plan your exit strategy if it's a marginal hit. Play with yourself.

But keep your ass in that seat until you've given your deer plenty of time. Your deer will not suffer being "deader" (barring high temps) if you wait.

Patience.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:09 AM
Fork Horn

Solid post!

Quick Reply: I hit one and can't find it!!........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.