Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ok so how do you approach this?

Old 08-26-2008, 07:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Ok so how do you approach this?

Hi, my name is Jeff, and my folksown a small piece of land that I hunt thatborders your property. I was wondering if it would be OK with you if I dida little bowhunting on your land as well? I'd be more than happy to help you out with chores, or anything else thatmight need doing around your property.
Oh, you don't let anybody hunt your landat all?Why is that?..... WOW, that's no way to talk to me. There's no need to get vulgar!Well, I tried. Thanksanyway.Oh, onelast thingI need to mention. I've already been hunting on you land for 4 years now, and I'll continue to hunt there until you get some posted signs put up.It was my parents that made me call youto begin with.Catch you later!
Old 08-27-2008, 06:40 AM
Dominant Buck

Aaron....

I've had a "little" luck getting on parcels that everyone said I had NO chance of getting on. You can't play the humble card too much.

What I stres is "how" I hunt and my philosophy towards being a good steward of their land. "How" I describe my hunting....

"Hello Mr. _______:

I'm sure you don't know me, but my mother owns land adjacnt to your property in Hillsville. I just wanted to tell you what a beautiful piece of land you have....and I also wanted to ask you a couplequestion concerning it. Im a big animal lover, and I'm also a hunter. I hunt strictly with a bow and arrow....and although I rarely get one.....I love just being out in the woods.

Now here's where I'd embellish a little.....

We've noticed some people on your land from time to time....and I was wondering if you had given permission for anyone to hunt on your property??? If he says "yes". Leave it be. You wouldn't want someone horning in on property you had permission to hunt. If he says "no".....

"WellI thought I'd ask you if it would be "OK" for me to access your property from time to time, during the hunting season, here. I see it as being beneficial to us both, because I could also be your eyes and ears from here.....and keep the people you don't want out here off the land. With my mother living right there beside it.....it would seem like a good fit.

Tell him how beautiful his land is......and how you'll keep it that way. Tell him .....the way you hunt....he'll never know you were there (low impact).

You might want to mention that you were looking at the aerial views of your mother's land (he doesn't need to know the size of her property) and noticed how nice his land is.

I'd mention in there...."I don't know how you feel about hunting....but we have a LOT of deer, up here, and you'r eonly looking to take a couple for your family to eat. Aaron.....use your job with the USPS as a benefit to you. Tell him right away that you are a young man who works for the postal service....and that you also work another job.....and hunt when you find time. It'll show him you're a hard worker (no lie, there....you're a fine young man). Use all your best attributes to your advantage....and you have many.

Be humble.....praise his ego.Every landowner wants to hear how beautiful his property is.

WHATEVER he says......get his address and send him a hand written letter. If he allows you to hunt, thank him and tell him again how you will be low impact. If he denies you entry......this is a great time to explain to him your love for these animals. It's also a great time to discuss how you're STILL going to be on the lookout for people accessing his land....and that you'll notify him if you see people there. Thank him for his time in speaking with you....either way. Have someone proof-read the letter (heck I still do this) and get it out right away. My best two properties.....I was initially denied access to. One came to me and told me he'd changed his mind (I shot 5 deer off his property, last year). The other invited me to come out to her land when I was there, subsequently (that spot is where I killed my '06 8-pointer AND the bull in '07....along with a couple does).

Good luck, buddy.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Aaron....

I've had a "little" luck getting on parcels that everyone said I had NO chance of getting on. You can't play the humble card too much.

What I stres is "how" I hunt and my philosophy towards being a good steward of their land. "How" I describe my hunting....

"Hello Mr. _______:

I'm sure you don't know me, but my mother owns land adjacnt to your property in Hillsville. I just wanted to tell you what a beautiful piece of land you have....and I also wanted to ask you a couplequestion concerning it. Im a big animal lover, and I'm also a hunter. I hunt strictly with a bow and arrow....and although I rarely get one.....I love just being out in the woods.

Now here's where I'd embellish a little.....

We've noticed some people on your land from time to time....and I was wondering if you had given permission for anyone to hunt on your property??? If he says "yes". Leave it be. You wouldn't want someone horning in on property you had permission to hunt. If he says "no".....

"WellI thought I'd ask you if it would be "OK" for me to access your property from time to time, during the hunting season, here. I see it as being beneficial to us both, because I could also be your eyes and ears from here.....and keep the people you don't want out here off the land. With my mother living right there beside it.....it would seem like a good fit.

Tell him how beautiful his land is......and how you'll keep it that way. Tell him .....the way you hunt....he'll never know you were there (low impact).

You might want to mention that you were looking at the aerial views of your mother's land (he doesn't need to know the size of her property) and noticed how nice his land is.

I'd mention in there...."I don't know how you feel about hunting....but we have a LOT of deer, up here, and you'r eonly looking to take a couple for your family to eat. Aaron.....use your job with the USPS as a benefit to you. Tell him right away that you are a young man who works for the postal service....and that you also work another job.....and hunt when you find time. It'll show him you're a hard worker (no lie, there....you're a fine young man). Use all your best attributes to your advantage....and you have many.

Be humble.....praise his ego.Every landowner wants to hear how beautiful his property is.

WHATEVER he says......get his address and send him a hand written letter. If he allows you to hunt, thank him and tell him again how you will be low impact. If he denies you entry......this is a great time to explain to him your love for these animals. It's also a great time to discuss how you're STILL going to be on the lookout for people accessing his land....and that you'll notify him if you see people there. Thank him for his time in speaking with you....either way. Have someone proof-read the letter (heck I still do this) and get it out right away. My best two properties.....I was initially denied access to. One came to me and told me he'd changed his mind (I shot 5 deer off his property, last year). The other invited me to come out to her land when I was there, subsequently (that spot is where I killed my '06 8-pointer AND the bull in '07....along with a couple does).

Good luck, buddy.
Wow, what a great way to approach a land owner. Even if they don't grant you access at least they will have a positive view of hunters. Plus, if you apply the aforementioned techniques chances are someone will let you hunt. Great Post, Jeff!!!
Old 08-27-2008, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Jeff.Now if they will just quit hanging up the phone before saying "Hello"

Old 08-27-2008, 08:12 AM
Dominant Buck

Have you tried directory assistance?

White pages on the net?
Old 08-27-2008, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got the name and adress from a GIS and I got the phone number from White pages...