Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

In the dark...

Old 08-26-2008, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: In the dark...

interesting ... I just finished up an antelope hunt where my wifeand I had to walk in each morning a good hour in the darkto get to our spot before daylight so the antelope herd wouldnt see us from their mountain side bedding areas. We used the light of the moon, natural landmarks, ie creeks, willow thickets andmarshesto sneak across and into ournatural blinds that we had built. Pretty easy actually longas you dont mind2bears and3 moose we bumped on seperate mornings.

as far as my whitetail stands, I see pretty good in the dark and have spent a lot of time walking out in the dark, Iget inby memory of trails, landmarks etc, pretty much like eveyone else stated. I have never needed touse flash lights or tacs or anything.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Memory only for me (GPS if super foggy or something)... Don't want to put out anything that could lead other hunters to my stand or favorite hunting spots....
Old 08-26-2008, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rarely will I use any thing reflective.Memory with terrain and Gps as a last resort are my methods.The experience does heighten when you are in predator country.Mountain lions and wolves.Field dressing and dragging deer out while it is dark in such country always has the alertness and adrenaline level kicked up a couple of notches.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

For those guys that do use reflective tape/markers don't you worry someone will find your spot?
Also, I wouldn't rely on GPS, because the batteries might fail. IMHO, memory and a good light will get you there.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:37 AM
Typical Buck

memory and a flashlight when needed

rick
Old 08-26-2008, 12:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

I head up river
Old 08-26-2008, 12:21 PM
Dominant Buck

For those guys that do use reflective tape/markers don't you worry someone will find your spot?
I dunno.

For those of you who leave your stands in the woods....don't you think they can see them on their way OUT?
Old 08-26-2008, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I normally just go by memory and using the natural land features such as points, creeks and the like. I have used reflective bright eyes in the past and would use them again if i was hunting land im not familiar with, but the land im hunting i dont need it on.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use natural features of the land...
Old 08-26-2008, 12:32 PM
Typical Buck

I use bright eyes, on the places I've hunted the past few years, haven't had to worry about other people taking my spots.

Not to jack Fran's thread, but do you guys get a sudden feeling of relaxation andpersonal self achievementonce you get up in your tree?? [8D]Its almost like I feel that is a huge obstacle in the dark morning, and when I finally settle in that tree I think to myself "finally......I made it!" And all is well afterwards? I ain't afraid of the dark, I love dark woods, but that's just a weird feeling I get in myself when I set out from the truck. Like I'm on a misson of something.....

Quick Reply: In the dark...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.