Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Changing what isn’t broken

Old 08-26-2008, 07:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Changing what isn’t broken

Those who know me, know that I am not a gadget guy or tinkerer. For a prodcut to get on my bow, it has to have been proven to work and not just be a flash in the pan whizz bang idea. Same goes for Broadheads. Been using thunderheads for 10+ years now, and bought so many on clearance back in the day, I doubt I’ll ever run out. I look at all these new heads and everything and yea I think some look really good and would be neat to try out, but when mine have never let me down thus far, it’s pretty hard to just bail on them.

I know Heads get a ton of press, and I don’t want that to consume this thread, but I am curious as to why so many guys have a great setup, then want to change it?

Do you get bored THAT quickly with your gear?
Do you think the new item you are picking up will truly give you that extra edge?
Do you think its your duty to test things out and be able to tell/help others with what works & what doesn’t?
Do you just have nothing better to do with your time & money?

Old 08-26-2008, 08:19 AM

Default RE: Changing what isn’t broken

I think the people who change things a lot lack confidence in their setups or don't get their bow tuned well enough. So the changes are in effect band-aids on gaping wounds.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:24 AM
Typical Buck

I just like new gadgets
Old 08-26-2008, 08:29 AM
Dominant Buck

ONLY speaking for me...

Nope. But you have to remember I'm sorta new to all this....and I have no idea of what all is out there. I've come pretty much full circle in my gear. I plan on shooting my current setup for a number of years.

Do you think the new item you are picking up will truly give you that extra edge?
In some instances, yes. In most iinstances....it's just me trying to find what I do like best. If I find a better mouse trap (TRULY better), though...I'll likely employ it. I honestly see the setup I have now going with me to the woods for 3-4 years, though.

Do you think its your duty to test things out and be able to tell/help others with what works & what doesn’t?
No. But I'll give my opinion of what "I" think works and what I think works LESS favorably. It's all opinion, though. I won't comment on gear I haven't personally tried.....unless it's to speak of concept.

I'm not a gadget guy, either. Once I decide on a setup.....I'll stick with it. I'm shooting the same rest going on 4 yrs. My sight is entering its 3rd season. Arrows - 2nd season. Peep - 3rd season. BH's - 2nd season.

I've been hunting just over 2 full seasons.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:41 AM
Fork Horn

Those are all great questions. I think part of it is forums like this one and others. I get on here about every day at work and mostly just read what others have to say, being a novice at archery I only try to stick my nose into things when I think I know what I am talking about. But I get on hear and read all about how this bow or that bow is the best ever, or sight, rest, broad head, arrow, camo, boots, truck, house, state, whatever. And I read all of these threads saying how great a product is, and I start to second guess my own decisions on equipment sometimes. You know, the grass is always greener. But fortunately I don't have the disposable income or time to change equipment constantly just to do it. Those are just my 2 cents.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

Those who know me, know that I am not a gadget guy or tinkerer. For a prodcut to get on my bow, it has to have been proven to work and not just be a flash in the pan whizz bang idea. Same goes for Broadheads. Been using thunderheads for 10+ years now, and bought so many on clearance back in the day, I doubt I’ll ever run out. I look at all these new heads and everything and yea I think some look really good and would be neat to try out, but when mine have never let me down thus far, it’s pretty hard to just bail on them.

I know Heads get a ton of press, and I don’t want that to consume this thread, but I am curious as to why so many guys have a great setup, then want to change it?

Rybo, thats a good question as I too don't tend to change equipment unless there is something it is not doing for me. I have been using the same BH since 1996 and they have never let me down and I have confidence in them, I could never see switching something that important in a set up that has always done the job to my satisfaction. Not just BH's but I am the same way with all my hunting gear....This will be interesting for me to see what some of the responses are.....
Old 08-26-2008, 08:49 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

I'm kinda like you.

I will use the same bow, broadheads, etc for many years as long as it is working well.

I don't often fix something that isn't broken.

Although, I did recently switch to G5 Strykers after shooting steelhead 100's for about 8 years.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Experimenting, changing things, helps me to learn. Speaking of broadheads, for instance. Suppose you get a new BH and put it on your current arrow and shoot it out of your current setup and it flys differently. While looking into that you find out something new about your setup, something that may help you improve that you didn't know before. The way I look at it is, if you never change things, even if you ultimately end up using the same stuff, then you lose opportunities to learn something new.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

For me, it's because something is broke. Every summer I seem to fight the WB on my bow. this Spring, I gave up after just a few times and switched to a QAD and now my practice sessions are just that. I'm no longer tinkering and trying to figure out what is wrong.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Heck...I thought the standard answer was..."Because I can!!!"

Quick Reply: Changing what isn’t broken

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.