Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Record on your season being over?

Old 08-25-2008, 01:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Record on your season being over?

I’ve filled several buck tags opening day of archery. The quickest being 45 minutes after shooting light.

The one that takes the cake was the year I got laid off the day before archery season started. I could have hunted every day of the season. So of course I shot a doe & a scrub buck the 1st week and was finished for the year. I will say that a lot of squirrels & pheasants found their way into the skillet after I ended my deer season so quickly. I was so dumb back then.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:49 PM

I hunted a neighboring state for 13 yrs. Once I found a spot my second year...I went 11 for 11 from that tree. 11 yrs in a row I killed my archery buck on the first day. Most often at the beginning of legal shooting time. 3 yrs I had to wait till the evening sit to take my buck.

Least amount of time to take a deer with a particular bow.....When I owned my own shop, the UPS man delivered a new line of bows I had ordered. They were YORK S-T-O Mags (now I am dating myself) I loved that thing. I even put the rest and sight on the left side for giggles. Anyway, he delivered them about 2pm. I stuck a sight and rest on one, squared it all up and sighted it in by the shop. I then went on up to the field range so I could sight the longer ydg pins. Wouldn't you know that a doe came off the hill and stood out about 35yds. I had a tag, and had taken 3 BH tipped arrows to check flight of the new (again dating myself) Rocky Mt. Supremes that came in the same order. I split the 30/40 yd pins, touched off the release and that arrow went wild. The deer was facing to my right with her right side to me. The deer turned wrongside out and the arrow hit it in the base of the neck on it's LEFT side. It ran 4 or 5 big jumps and hit the dirt. Now, Let me say that at that time I was a "Speed Freak" and those heads were NOT for speed. That was the one and only time I didn't try my heads before shooting at an animal. Anyway, time lapsed....1hr 35mins from unboxing to dead deer.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man... these stories oftaking nice deer in the first 45 minutes are killin me
Old 08-25-2008, 02:14 PM

MO is not technically a one buck state, but it is one buck before rifle season. About 4 years ago, first afternoon in stand, I think the third day of the season, I shot a doe 20 minutes after getting settled, missed a gobbler 10 minutes after that, and then an hour and a half later shot a 10 pt that scored 124 and change.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very first year I hunted with a rifle, 14 years old, I was done for the season by 7:10 on opening morning. Killed my two bucks about 20 minutes apart. Done!

Done this twice actually, four years ago I was done in about 15 minutes on opening morning. Two 8's came in, got them both!
Old 08-25-2008, 02:23 PM
Bartender

Back in 1984 you could only shoot one deer and I shot a spike buck about 11:30 am on opening morning and I was done. (Gun)
Wisconsin does allow you to help with deer drives so I got to spend the remaining 8 days doing that. Also you could shoot
one during the drive but had to be in visual or calling distance of another hunter in your party.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

im much like you....i love filling tags...but i love being able to have tags available to still go hunting. we have a flintlock rifle season(also late archery season) that starts the day after Christmas and lasts 3 weeks...i have off from school that whole time period...we sometimes have snow and nice cooler weather...and i absoultely love carrying a flintlock rifle in the woods..no orange needed...hunting in snow is AWESOME...and i just love that season...i try to always make sure i have a doe tag for that season if nothing else. a few of us usually get together and do some small pushes and drives to eachother and just have fun...when im not with them i like to TRY still hunting and/or tracking in snow...just a great season, though our deer went through 6 weeks of bowhunting and 2 solid weeks of a warzone called rifle season, so stand hunting is rather unproductive, its still a great season...

i love to hunt...even if i filled my buck tag and a doe tag or 2 and said i had enough meat in the freezer and did not want to kill another deer, i will go and push to the buddies etc...we work as a team...even those that dont bowhunt will fill us that DO bowhunt in on where they see bucks, big bucks, lots of deer etc...they KNOW that if we fill out tag in bow season, we will be there in rifle and flintlock to push for them once the deer are pressured and need moved around. to me, being a driver and hearing a gun go off is music to my ears...you can say ive "killed" more deer than ive actually pulled the trigger(or release) on...its a team effort...the guy pulling the trigger is just the one in the right spot at the right time....though alot of thought and effort goes into knowing where to put standers...that used to be my role...i was like the "boss" of the standers and my knowledge of deer and funnels etc made me a VERY successful leader of standers...when a young buddy got his first deer off a drive i was part of, i felt GREAT excitement..when my buddy dropped a slammer, we were ALL pumped up...its a team thing...so my season will really NEVER end till it closes...
Old 08-25-2008, 03:35 PM

Damn I want all u guys spots... My best is my 3rd day (and that was like 9 years ago)... although it was not a single tag state so got one more a week later
Old 08-25-2008, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've only archery killed one buck the first day I ever hunted him. Usually its a grind, before the old ones make a mistake....in thisbig forested countryfilled withmass feedout here; nothing to force deer to a particulardestination so to speak.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

January 1st.

Quick Reply: Record on your season being over?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.