Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tresspassing to find a mortally wounded animal

Old 08-25-2008, 02:07 PM
Bartender

Default RE: Tresspassing to find a mortally wounded animal

True but in my part of the country its either yuppie suburbinites, anti hunting, or a bad experience with hunters. First two go kind of hand in hand.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:08 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-25-2008, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Call the game warden. The property owner may own the land, but he does not own the game on it. The state does. Have a good relationship with your wardens and this will never be a problem for you.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:09 PM
Dominant Buck

Call the game warden. The property owner may own the land, but he does not own the game on it. The state does. Have a good relationship with your wardens and this will never be a problem for you.
I wish it were that simple.....but it isn't. EVEN IF the GW wanted to....he has no rights (in some states) that trumps the landowners' (and rightfully so in my eyes).

I'm not picking on anyone....because this quoted sentiment is a popular one....

Granted I took a chance on leaving my information and trespassing on their land, but the deer does deserve the respect.
What bothers me (anda LOT of landowners) is......that the respect the deer is perceived due.....somehow trumps the respect the landowner is due.

Never have nor never will understand that.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Everyone preseason scouts, practises, and does everything they need to be ready to hunt.

WHY is meeting with the neighboring landowners to discuss the possibility of retrival as important as any thing else you do to prepare?

You then know when setting up stands or sometimes whether or not to shoot what the consequences might be from your action.
I don't go without specific permission and do not allow others without prior permission and contact after the shot to go onto ours.
Been burned too many times by neighboring wandering stateland hunters and those who set on the line (woods on our side - open field on theirs - they are hunting and shooting onto our property. Don't want to play by the rules and respect us, you go to court if we catch you one foot over the line.

And there is no right to retrival in NYS - no officer of any kind can assist over the landowners objection.

Steve
Old 08-25-2008, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bowmanaj

In Indiana you can cross your property line to retrieve an animal
bowmanaj What regulation book are you reading??
Do Not Trespass
It is illegal to hunt, trap, chase or retrieve
game on private land without the consent of
the landowner or tenant. Always ask permission
before entering private property. A sample private
landowner permission form is found on page 50.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This is straight out of the Indiana hunting regulation book. It is illegal to go onto someone elses property POSTED OR NOT POSTED in Indiana.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

GMMAT; in Wisconsin it IS that simple. Babe should have had a better relationship with the warden.

(or he should have made a better shot)
Old 08-25-2008, 04:21 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: mconwa951

I was jsut watching Babe Winkleman and he shot a buck in Wisconsin and the buck crossed the property line and they went and asked the neighbor for permission to go get it and the guy said no. Now in MN and WI I know there is a legal right to go onto the property to recover the animal. Babe chose to obey the owners wishes and no follow the animala little while later (week or so)someone found it on this guys land less than 100yd past the fence.

I don't want to discuss the TV show thing we all know how people feel about that. My question is what would you do would you go get the animal or not.
i watched that this morning too.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:40 PM
Fork Horn

If there is a chance that your wounded animal could cross a property line. You being the hunter should have foreseen that possibility and requested permission from the neighboring land owner proir to the hunt. If the land owner will not grant you access, don't take a shot where and when there is a likely chance your animal could die in the no fly zone. Especially don't hunt on the property line like some people i know. Anyway stuff happens, but preparation is key. All you can do is try to avoid the issue the best way you can, and hope to make a clean fast kill every time.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like the laws in NY. There is no right to enter someones land without permission posted or not. If you do you are tresspassing. Even a game warden can not come on your property for the purpose of pursuing someones wounded animal. A warden can enter private propertyoutside of what is called the curtilage only for the purpose of checking licenceses of hunters envolved in a hunt or if there is probable cause envovinga violation. The curtilage is the area of land occupied by a dwelling and its yard and outbuildings, actually enclosed or considered as enclosed. A warden needs a warrant to enter your curtilage just like any other cop. There are a couple of exceptions to allow for extreme situations like if a crime is in progress or to prevent loss of life or injury. I'm not sure about the specifics of the exceptions but finding somebody's deer certainly isn't one of them.

Imo, finding a wounded or downed deer is no reason to violate private property rights.

Quick Reply: Tresspassing to find a mortally wounded animal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.