Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Had a good weekend

Old 08-25-2008, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Had a good weekend

Went to my farm (80 acres) on Saturday and got my food plots bush hogged and then disked. Got my lyme put out in my small plot (1/2 acre) and got it disked in. I am going back on Sept. 13 to plant it with wheat, oates, and some biologic full draw for late season. Got my big plot (1 acre) disked and ran the harrow over it and got it planted in clover plus. Got a 2 new lockons hung over the small plot, in trees that are side by side, and bushhogged a few trails out of the thick stuff that will lead them right by the tree and hopefully my wife will be able to get her first shot with a bow on opening weekend of bow season.

Went to a new refuge in Missouri on Sunday and walked and drove all day long trying to get the place figured out. (it's over 20,000 acres). Made a lot of head way on figuring out hows it lays and found alot of deer sign overall but nothing really impressive until about noon and after about 4 hours of walking we found the mother load. So we called it a day for walking and spent the rest of the day driving and looking at refuge maps and topo maps figuring how you need to come in and out and what the deer will most likely do when the water gets high and the duck hunters get there etc. Overall a great weekend and it really got me in the mood to hunt. I can't wait to slip back in there on Sept. 15 and see if I can't get a shot on one of those club footed rascals that are leaving all the tracks in that "honey hole" we found. The best part is that it's a long way in and no good way to get there, and hopefully that will rule out how many hunters we have to deal with. I don't think there will be many folks willing to drag a doe or scrub out of there.