Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Making the decision to shoot......or not

Old 08-25-2008, 07:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Making the decision to shoot......or not

I know many of you go into the season with a certain "inches" criteria......or a certain age group criteria.....and I'm no different. I have a "goal".

But some recent scouting has shown me a buck I peg at 2.5yrs.....and likely 90-100", NOW.

With only <3yrs bowhunting under my belt....the fact that I've been scouting this deer (and I'm sure I'll have gamecam photos of him when I get to check it......come on rain!).....and have a short "history" with him....."might" influence the decision to take him, if I get the chance.

How many of you make these type decisions on the fly? How many stick to your preseason "criteria" and won't falter?

I'm saying I'm gonna have a hard time passing on this buck.....up-front.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Making the decision to shoot......or not

I'd say most hunters with your experience have a hard time passing 2.5 year olds, to be honest. It took me more than three years before I could start letting them walk, too.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have been killing deersince childhoodand I find it very hard to make these kind of decisions - especially on the fly. My early hunting transpired on a farm where the deer where regarded as a nuisance so my default is to shoot.

Nevertheless, I would recommend that you promise yourself to only shoot underrock-solid circumstances. For me, the only real tragedy would be deciding to shoot and then not killing him cleanly and efficiently because of an imperfect situation. The only time I have ever regretted a decision to shoot is when I wavered/debated at the moment of truth with bow in hand. There is no extra space in my small mind at these crtical moments.

I say: Decide now, kill him (or not) when able and feel good about the fact that you are far enough ahead of the game to be able to make the decision beforehand.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I ask myself one question....Will this deer make ME happy? If yes I let the arrow fly! I could have a hunt unfold where a smallish basket buck could get my adreniline going and just be the "right" deer for me, it may be a doe, or it may be a big buck....
Old 08-25-2008, 08:37 AM
Dominant Buck

I've been fortunate enough to take some "good" (everything being relative) deer for the woods I hunt.

I've pretty much decided I'm gonna take this deer.....if offered a good shot. I'm also lucky in that I can wait on one that would REALLY tickle my fancy.......because I get two buck tags. it would also make my decision to take more does, easier.

We'll see.....lol. I may be putting the cart before the horse. If I have my longbow in hand.....its a no-brainer. And....if I do decide to take him.....he'll have to be one that would go on the wall.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

It all depends on the moment. I too go in with a goal of a certain size/deer but the moment sometimes takes that away. Last year after watching 2 bucks fight under my stand after I grunted them in from a fight about 80 yards away, I decided to take the bigger non typical. After a failed shot :BagonHead: and I saw the other one working his way up to a scrape I shot him. While I'm still happy with him, other mornings, he would have walked right on by.

So it's hard to pass those bucks. I have 2 this year that I have told myself I plan to pass, but come the season, it may all change. If I'm sitting in the stand with my 5 year old, I may feel differently than I do now.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing wrong with a 90-100 inch buck where you hunt Jeff. If you feel good about shooting him, go for it! I myself hardly ever get a second encounter with any buck that crosses my path, and if I do get a second encounter, the bucks are spikes or 4 pointers. I am forced to make those type of decisions on the fly, every time I see a buck coming my way. I have a general idea that I want to take a nice 8 pointer or above this year, or not shoot at all unless it is a doe.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

I stick to "the plan" from day one. I've passed on enough slightly less than what I'm looking for now, that it doesn't phase me anymore. I'm perfectly fine with tag soup if that's how it happens. The part that sucks (happened last year to me) is when it happens so quick and you've determined that's not the one you're after only to ask yourself why the hell you didn't shootthat buckas it's walking away at 50-60 yards never to be seen again [:@][:@]. Those are the only regrets I'll have on not shooting.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:49 AM

It's real nice to tell yourself all summer that you're holding out for an 'X' deer...But FAR easier to lower your standards when presented with a shot during the season.

MOST of my shoot or not to shoot choices happen in the moment. It's just not that important to me to hold out for a super large deer.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:50 AM
Dominant Buck

I've "passed" on a couple 8-pointers in the past.....but none that would be the size of this one. That's why it would be tough, for ME.

I may never get the chance.....but I KNOW he's in the right area. I just have to put ME in the right spot. A west wind on 9/13 and I like my chances. I'll stay out of the area in the AM hunts until I see their patterns change.

Quick Reply: Making the decision to shoot......or not

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.