Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Making the decision to shoot......or not

Old 08-25-2008, 08:51 AM

Default RE: Making the decision to shoot......or not

I always have a certain goal in mind at the beginning of the year, usually I do not have a particular buck in mind though. I'm really not an inches guy, if I see a deer I like coming in to me that I am satisfied with, he's getting an arrow his way. I have never had any of my deer "officially" scored.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will have to agree with Carp on this one if the deer makes me happy I shoot it
Old 08-25-2008, 09:06 AM

I don't have a "size limit" per se', just a minimum of an 8 point. Other than that, if I have to ask myself "Do I want to shoot this deer" I don't.....when it's one I wanna shoot, that question doesn't enter my mind. Right or wrong, that's how my style is, now.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

I stick to my guns when It comes to bucks and inches now. When I was younger It didn't matter really what It was, It was geting an arrow.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:11 AM
Dominant Buck

I've got two things that drive this.

1. A 100" buck is a good buck for these parts.

2. I've got ZERO deer on my wall over 107".

If I get a clean, ethical shot.....I'm gonna have to shoot him......I think

He may only go 90"....and if that's the case.....I'll make a decision from stand. If he'll score what I think he will, though.....I'm loosing an arrow.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:23 AM
Typical Buck

My "plan" is to try and stick couple of slickhead with my new guardian, unless a mature buck comes along. I shot a 7 and 8 point last year with my bow, but both were probably only 1.5 yrs old. I am more interested in filling the freezer than anything else.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:25 AM
Typical Buck

I am generally looking for bucks that are 125+ inches but it took me about ten years to get the point of being able to pass on bucks smaller than that.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

I never have a goal going into the season, other than to just enjoy my time in the outdoors. I will know when a deer walks by, if it is one that I want to take or not.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Right now I say I want to shoot a buck of X inches. But the reality of a hunting situation is that I may mess up. If the deer looks big, I’m not going to be worried about adding inches in my head. If I mis-judge it, oh well. I’m not going to beat myself up unless I really blow it. The toughest part will be if I am faced with a ‘tweener’ and I’ll cross that bridge when I get there. I’m going to try not to shoot a 2.5, but I can’t guarantee that. I saw a rack & corresponding jaw bone from a 2.5 yr old buck at an expo this weekend, and had he walked by me, he’d have gotten an arrow sent his way. Great mass & beams & shocked me pretty good to see him only a 2.5.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff, i know your area has a hard time growing trophy bucks, so wouldn't it be a benefit to let him have a year? Or does he not stand a chance during the gun season?

I know me personally, i would take him...but you are a little farther down the hunting road then i am.

He could become a real nice deer if he makes it.

Quick Reply: Making the decision to shoot......or not

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.