Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadheads hitting low

Old 08-25-2008, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Broadheads hitting low

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

I just dont understand why if I use my aluminums with the same broadheads, they hit right with the field points on the carbons and on the aluminums????
There is probably a difference in overall weight. Do you have a scale that you can weigh the aluminum vs. carbon?
Old 08-25-2008, 08:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

But explain why I can shoot one carbon with a practice tip, one alluminum with a practice tip, and they will hit the area im shooting at, I shoot one aluminum with a broadhead and one carbon with a broadhead, the aluminum will hit exactly where I want and the carbon will hit 3-4 inches lower...but yes they are different diameters. My carbons are Easton Excell St 400's and the aluminums are Easton 2314's.
ORIGINAL: Arcus Venator

Your carbons are probably a different diameter than your aluminum arrows. That would cause the realtionship between the arrow and the string to change.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, as Arcus Venator said, the arrow is probably at a different angle to the string. It doesn't take much with that broadhead on there. It will really take any little detail that is 'off' and magnify it.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

So instead of changind my nocking point which then in turn would change my anchor point Id be better off moving my WB, but now which way woudl i move it up or down, I beleive id move it down correct?
ORIGINAL: Pops423

Yes, as Arcus Venator said, the arrow is probably at a different angle to the string. It doesn't take much with that broadhead on there. It will really take any little detail that is 'off' and magnify it.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:47 AM

The amount of movement needed will not change your anchor point significantly. You are talking about moving the nock pt down 1/8" or thereabouts.

If you can't get past the idea, and must move the rest, move it UP. Think of it like this, your bh's are hitting low because your arrow is pointed slightly down at launch. You need to either move the bh up, or move the nock end down.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for all the help. I think Ill get this figured out. If not Ill continue to use the old faithfuls untill i have no more left.

ORIGINAL: RobinAim Low

The amount of movement needed will not change your anchor point significantly. You are talking about moving the nock pt down 1/8" or thereabouts.

If you can't get past the idea, and must move the rest, move it UP. Think of it like this, your bh's are hitting low because your arrow is pointed slightly down at launch. You need to either move the bh up, or move the nock end down.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Or do it the "cheap way" and move your entire sight down just a tad.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:48 PM
Typical Buck

I had to do this on my bow today as well. I was right on at 20 yds. but 4-5" low at 30. I made two simple adjustments (moved my bisquit up slightly each time) and then I was right on.

The arrows may be hitting differently because they probly have a different spine too I would bet. I would pick one of them and then tune it in.

rick

Old 08-25-2008, 04:23 PM
Fork Horn

Not sure how to help you. good luck
Old 08-25-2008, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would pick one or the other and focus on them. Why go to carbon if the alum's are hitting right?