Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Out of tune bow?

Old 08-24-2008, 08:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default Out of tune bow?

I pulled out my bow today and shot it for a while. My groups were good from about 30 yards and in. I was using my field points, and I hadn't shot my broadheads this year, so I decided to pull one out and shoot it. I shot it, and it dropped low and left of the target. I didn't think I moved, so I shot an arrow with my field point in it again, and it was right on. I have the Muzzy 3 Blade 100 grain. Could this be happening because my bow is out of tune?

Thanks.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Out of tune bow?

Do your field tips and Muzzys usually shoot the same or do you to re-adjust your sights for your broadheads?
Old 08-24-2008, 08:15 PM
Fork Horn

Had the same problem with the muzzys so I went to the rage and could not be happier.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:19 PM
Fork Horn

Well I got a Whisker Biscuit put on my bow last season, and it seemed to not be shooting the same as my previous rest. The guy that put it on said he squared it up and put it on, so I figured it should be alright. I didn't end up shooting a deer last season with my bow, and I shot my Muzzys a couple times and they seemed to be shooting alright. I didn't shoot them a whole lot, but enough to get the feel for them. I took the broadhead off, and let my brother shoot the same broadhead on his arrow, and his shot straight. He has a brand new bow this year.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

ok
first spin test your heads and make sure they are true.
Then look up eastons tuning guide, go to the broadhead section and follow it. You should be able to get yout BH & FP's hitting same POI.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:25 PM
Fork Horn

I've only been shooting for a year, so I'm not sure how to spin test my broadheads. Whats the procedure?
Old 08-24-2008, 10:43 PM

Sounds like you need to tune your bh, by adjusting your rest. Another option is shooting expandables.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ScottF2345

I've only been shooting for a year, so I'm not sure how to spin test my broadheads. Whats the procedure?
Spin an arrow w/ the BH on, on your finger, if you feel ANY noticeable wobble, swap BH and arrows, if you still notice wobble at all, I'd switch heads. For some reason some of the Muzzy heads over the last few years have had issues. I don't personally like a WB because I think ANY fletch contact is bad, but uniform fletch contact is better than a single fletch getting contact. If the arrows all spin fine, you can start making fine adjustments to your rest and or nockpoint to get those field tips and BH's together. If BH is hitting LOW, then either lower nockpoint or raise the rest, using the berger hole as a reference, can help a little. If the BH are consistently hitting LEFT, then move the rest ever so slightly to the right, and try again. THESE ARE FINE, FINE adjustments, 1/16 - 1/32" at a time, and re-shoot. You may also before you even start want to do a walk-back tune on your bow to make sure the rest is CLOSE to being centered. But if you're shooting FP's well out to 35-40yds, your rest should be close.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:23 PM
Fork Horn

I was actually thinking about bringing it into a local shop to get my poundage increased. I think that they could also help me tune my bow. I don't think that it has shot as well as it originally had before I purchased the whisker biscuit. I just like the WB, because of the easy arrow loading, and not being a very experienced bow hunter, I would get an occasional arrow fall off the rest. My group isn't perfect at 30 yards, but I can keep them pretty close. At 10-20, its pretty much dead on, but when I let the broad head fly, it seemed to not fly correctly. I think some little adjustments should correct that. What about a paper tune on my bow?
Old 08-24-2008, 11:29 PM
Fork Horn

My little brother also shot the broadheads on his arrows and they flew just like his field points. He also shoots a whisker biscuit, and his arrows flew fine, so I don't think that it's the broadhead.

Quick Reply: Out of tune bow?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.