Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Out of tune bow?

Old 08-24-2008, 11:45 PM

Default RE: Out of tune bow?

try walk back tuneing not a big fan of paper tuneing
Old 08-24-2008, 11:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ScottF2345

I was actually thinking about bringing it into a local shop to get my poundage increased. I think that they could also help me tune my bow. I don't think that it has shot as well as it originally had before I purchased the whisker biscuit. I just like the WB, because of the easy arrow loading, and not being a very experienced bow hunter, I would get an occasional arrow fall off the rest. My group isn't perfect at 30 yards, but I can keep them pretty close. At 10-20, its pretty much dead on, but when I let the broad head fly, it seemed to not fly correctly. I think some little adjustments should correct that. What about a paper tune on my bow?
I WON'T paper tune ANYTHING, and there are a lot of guys who will agree. A simple walk-back tune, to center the rest, and then a BH tune, following the adjust the rest to change the impact of the BH to get it CLOSER to the FP until they are at the same point of impact seems to work for me. In all honesty, I don't even shoot at 10yds otherthan an occasional arrow when first setting a bow up, because the POI at 10 - 20 yds really shouldn't be very much different at all on a well tuned bow that shooting 250fps or so. If your groups fal apart at 30, and the aren't even on the target at 40, then the problem maybe both you and the bow. We were all there at one point, I'd never even attempted a shot past about 25yds until I'd been shooting a bow probably 4-5yrs, because back in the late 80's, when MOST of us really knew VERY little, we were afraid to lose arrows. Now I'll fling one at a target at 60-70yds, and be pretty confident that I'll be in the general vicinity of where I was aiming. PAPER-tuning is a good place to start if you don't have space to shoot to get things close, but I'd bet 90% of the guys that paper-tune end up moving their rest a slight bit one way or another to get their BH's to fly with their FP's. So in the absence of a place to shoot, it may be beneficial, but otherwise, I don't see much value to it, especially for a NON-competitive archer.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:52 PM
Fork Horn

So small adjustments to the rest may be the answer here? I think my point of impact is pretty close between 10 and 20, but the arrow did seem to drop a little more at 20 with the broadhead. At 30 with field points, I can keep them all in the insert in the deer target I shoot at. I can keep them relatively close at 40, but I am not 100% confident with that shot.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ScottF2345

So small adjustments to the rest may be the answer here? I think my point of impact is pretty close between 10 and 20, but the arrow did seem to drop a little more at 20 with the broadhead. At 30 with field points, I can keep them all in the insert in the deer target I shoot at. I can keep them relatively close at 40, but I am not 100% confident with that shot.
If there's a rest problem, it will become more exaggerated at longer distances, barely noticeable at 10, a bit more at 20, and ridiculous at 40. It's also more difficult to shoot a nice TIGHT group at 40 than it is 20 for the obvious reason, but there can also be a trend noted. As a new archer you may also have some moderate form issues that may need resolved. Small things like making sure you're not "punching the release," to making sure you have good follow through, can make a BIG improvement. And even GOOD ARCHERS (I am not yet a GOOD ARCHER), have form flaws from time to time. Follow through seeming to be one of the biggest ones especially if you shoot when you are fatigued. Lots of variables play into archery, GREAT archers have a consistent form that seldom changes and they have a routine they go through EVERY shot. "Draw, hold, settle pin, breathe, squeeze trigger, remember to follow through while not CHOKING the bow..." Whatever it may be, the almost ALL have a routine they go through in their head from what I've gathered.