Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Horrible shots!!!

Old 08-24-2008, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Horrible shots!!!

Just last week I was shooting great and I even split an arrow. Well Just yesterday I got my bow string changed and the guys changing my string recommended that I get one of those string loops that goes behind your arrow. I decided to because the reason I had to get a new string was because of the release ripping away the bowstring.

Well I just shot a little that night and it was off by alot and none of the arrows were shooting the same.

(by the way these are brand new arrows, I got them yesterday along with the string.)

Well today we had a bowshoot and I shot horrible. I shot a 225/400 when I usually shoot 290-310. And i know it just wasn't a bad shoot because I shot just a little bit ago and they all sucked, and now my strings keeps hitting my arm even when my arm is bent and I can't keep it it steady when usually im very still.

I can't figure out the problem, but I can tell you now that im not in a good mood because of my bow.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Horrible shots!!!

If you got a whole new string and everything you need to retune everything and dial it in. Did htye put everything back in the same positions and to the factory specs of the bow?
Old 08-24-2008, 06:18 PM

did you change your anchor point? I had to when i went to a loop
Old 08-24-2008, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I already retuned it in and all, but its still not shooting good. Some shots are good and then some are off by alot. Im not as steady either.

I dont think the loop gives you as much control as no loop because its not direct with the bow and bowstring.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's likely a matter of getting used to the slightly different anchor point. Give it time, I don't personally know anyone who has taken a loop off after having used one.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

well ill give it a week or so but more than likely I will be the first to take it off.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pope94/IA

I already retuned it in and all, but its still not shooting good. Some shots are good and then some are off by alot. Im not as steady either.

I dont think the loop gives you as much control as no loop because its not direct with the bow and bowstring.
ACTUALLY, if it ain't shooting well, then you DIDN'T re-tune it well. The problem's more likely the guy behind the bow. Even an OUT of tune bow unless you have MAJOR fletching contact issues should group fairly decent. The LOOP should give you better control, and if you set a nock above the arrow, it will push the arrow down into the rest so it doesn't try to "jump off of the rest" when you draw the bow. I just recently switched to loops on 3 of my 4 bows and my shooting is better than before w/ FPs and BH's right with each other at 40 and just slightly varied at 50yds, but that is more shooter than bow as I can't focus as well as I'd like at that distance.

If you changed string just because your center-serving was roughed up, your pro-shop misled you. A simple replacement of the center serving, unless you'd broken some strands, would have sufficed. I'd replaced my center serving 5x on a set of strings before ever needing to buy new strings. And I only needed to buy new strings because of my own neglect to wax them as often as I really should, and maybe a little desire for an upgrade over the 2 1/2 yr old factory strings that had been re-twisted several times.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:13 PM

Its either a bad string job, or just you shooting different with the loop. When i switched I had to get a new anchor, new draw length, re-tune, and get used to it.
Easy way to test- IGNORE THE LOOP! Shoot your bow like you did before, and ignore the loop. If you are still shooting terrible, you know that its not you!
Old 08-24-2008, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

ORIGINAL: Pope94/IA

ACTUALLY, if it ain't shooting well, then you DIDN'T re-tune it well. The problem's more likely the guy behind the bow. Even an OUT of tune bow unless you have MAJOR fletching contact issues should group fairly decent. The LOOP should give you better control, and if you set a nock above the arrow, it will push the arrow down into the rest so it doesn't try to "jump off of the rest" when you draw the bow. I just recently switched to loops on 3 of my 4 bows and my shooting is better than before w/ FPs and BH's right with each other at 40 and just slightly varied at 50yds, but that is more shooter than bow as I can't focus as well as I'd like at that distance.

If you changed string just because your center-serving was roughed up, your pro-shop misled you. A simple replacement of the center serving, unless you'd broken some strands, would have sufficed. I'd replaced my center serving 5x on a set of strings before ever needing to buy new strings. And I only needed to buy new strings because of my own neglect to wax them as often as I really should, and maybe a little desire for an upgrade over the 2 1/2 yr old factory strings that had been re-twisted several times.
The loop does not give me better control, my control with the loop sucks. Its just as bad as if there was a big wind coming through.

Another thing might be the problem is my WB. I heard people have bad luck with them.

Are you supposed to replace WBs every once inawhile due to the wiskers coming off?

OHbowhntr. Im glad that you are shooting better but I am shooting WORSE. i have never shot this bad before.
ill rest up a bit then ill give it another go and see how it does.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Will it make you feel better if we all tell you what you want to hear?

Quick Reply: Horrible shots!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.