Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what goes through your head

Old 08-24-2008, 04:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default what goes through your head

so what goes through your head every year around hunting season.
for me it is gear condition anything i plan to buy. will there be deer in those areas i want to hunt come season.
Is my bow OK. Will i fall out of a tree this year.
Also i feel alot more confidant since i will hunt the same general area this year that i hunted last year.

What do you guys think about or daydream about.

I really thought today it was that time of year when i Saw my neighbor racking a yard full of leafs
Old 08-24-2008, 05:24 PM

Default RE: what goes through your head

Not to much honestly..

I of course realy anticipate the hunt.

However, I mainly just look forward to a few days in the woods alone (just seems different than those single day hunts). Shooting a deer of course is the objective but just being out there away from everything and everyone with my thoughts kinda puts life back into prespective.

Its the one time of year I dont care about work, college, friends, family, nothing. Its just a few days for myself. Maybe its selfish but I thing we all deserve a few selfish days a year
Old 08-24-2008, 05:39 PM
Fork Horn

I get pretty cranky as hunting season approaches, just wishing it was already here. My wife says I get this way every August.I think its more the Hot weather we usually have in August/September as anything, but amazingly it goes away come October, lol. Once it gets here I'm almost always in a good mood.

I usually go through my hunting spots in my mind, whats different than past years, how do I need to change becasue of it, if at all. I think of new places I want to hunt and how to tweak my old ones.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

I always start thinking early about the hunt ahead.I get my bow out and check it out to make sure all is pretty much ready. I check the peep out to make sure it is still sound. Check my arrows and broadheads ect..

This year is going to be different as I have taken a ferry 18 miles out to sea to check an island out for Maine's expanded archery season and can't wait to get back out there during the last week of Sept. I have a cabin all ready rented for 5 nights and there is a pile of deer out there. I think I am having nightmares from all the deer running around out there..It's all new to me being out to sea like that but I know I am going to enjoy it.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:37 PM

All the things you mentioned but more than anything it's the season of Fall and all that entails...the smells, the shadows, and the cool breezes, they are what I think of the most.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I usually just ponderdifferent things in my life. I think how cool it is to be in the woods, going basically undetected as nature goes it's own way. I also wonder if the "big boy" is going to give me a chance on this day?I live for it.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I patiently wait until the 0-dark-thirty hour on September 27th, when I can look forward to climbing into a tree and await that Booner to come walking by browsing on the delicacies of the forest floor, without a clue I am above him onlyto pause for a second checking the wind right before my Slick Trick tipped Carbon Lightning bolt slices through his heart and lungs rendering him quickly and quietly returned to his maker. The flesh will nourish mine and my families bodies, and the trophy of his beauty will adorn my walls as I will hold him as I cherish the memory he gave me.

The bow is not a worry, I know that 2 of my 3 bows that may potentially go to the woods with me are fine-tuned and ready to kill. The weather worries me not, with a well placed kill shot, the deer will drop in sight MOST of the time, and I enjoy a little drizzle as long as its not a downpour. I know the deer will be there, they always are, it's a matter of where MR. BIG will be that concerns me. This year, I'll likely take an EARLY kill rather than wait a little longer as I did last year, since I now have TWO jerky mongers running around the house excited when the dehydrator starts odorizing the house with the smell of mesquite and teriaki or hickory and worcestershire. Maybe I'll put 3 in the freezer again for the first time in a few years, time will tell. Gotta have freezer space before you can kill too much, that's for sure.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

As the season gets closer, there is too much on my mind to type it all
Old 08-24-2008, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

OHbowhntr, your post isquite nugentesque!

I am more or less overwhelmed wondering about my gear readiness this time of year. Once the smells of autumm start filling the air my thoughts really turn to just being in the woods as much as possible. Also, when one phase ends and the next one begins. I hope to experience them as much as possible.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:39 PM

These days I get extremely frustrated.

I'm constantly dealing with people who're only just now realizing that season is quickly approaching. They want new strings, new sights, new rests, new arrows, new everything and they want it to work perfectly yesterday. A lack of preparation on their part is all of a sudden an emergency for me.

At the same time it has me anticipating the week long hunt I have planned. The solitude of being alone in a remote part of the wilderness pitting myself against nature.

Quick Reply: what goes through your head

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.