Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Disapointing results

Old 08-24-2008, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Disapointing results

You also have to think about this too.You're hunting in a deer's living room.It'll notice anything and everything out of place or out of the ordinary.And if it wasn't there the last time she walked down that trail,she's gonna question it
Old 08-24-2008, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

How high up is your stand?
Old 08-24-2008, 12:18 PM
Typical Buck

LoL I knew this was going to open up a can of worms.

I'm aware of thermals. Thursday was when we started to get the effects of Fay. As I stated, there was a constant wind blowing from her rear to front. Thermals wouldn't have been factor.

I also understand that we hunt in the deers' homes so anything can be "out of place". However, as I stated I've been in simular situations and even had deer at 10yds while hunting on the ground that resumed normal after "spotting" me.

I'm not one of those who climber 50ft in a tree. Throughout mylife of hunting I've learned that it is very important not to out limb your cover. I was 13-14ft high which allowed me to stay within the cover of my background.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:28 PM
Typical Buck

I guess my post would have read better by explaining that I'm not that surprised that she spotted me for the reasons some of youhave mentioned. What I was surprised is how fast she "picked me out". She came down the trail, came around and bush and BAM!!! She had me pinned. I felt as if I had Christmas tree lights strung around my stand.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: StrutNtom

LoL I knew this was going to open up a can of worms.
No, you didn't open up a can of worms, but you gave an open invitation for folks to give some possible reasons why this may have happened. You don't have to agree with them.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:39 PM
Typical Buck

Very true and I appricate the replies. However, being an avid hunter my entire lifeI tend to cover most bases before I "throw myself out there".

I'm going to continue wearing the camo this year unless these sort of things become common then I will stop with it.

It is the Brown Deception and you would think that it would blend in great with the sky line mixed with the rednees of pines.

Old 08-24-2008, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thank GOD it was just a Doe and not a Monster Buck. That would have been a BUMMER!

Hatchet Jack
Old 08-24-2008, 01:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jason, I'm sure you know what you're doing, and I'd say your camo is fine. I have afeeling you may have just gotten a slight down draftthat you didn't even notice, but she did.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: StrutNtom

Very true and I appricate the replies. However, being an avid hunter my entire lifeI tend to cover most bases before I "throw myself out there".

I'm going to continue wearing the camo this year unless these sort of things become common then I will stop with it.

It is the Brown Deception and you would think that it would blend in great with the sky line mixed with the rednees of pines.

Could be just "one of those days"....it happens to everybody, youdon't do anything different than you did in the past with results, but on a certain day, you just get busted. I wouldn't worry about to much. hey at least YOUR hunting, I have 5 more weeks to wait.[:'(]

PS....CONGRATS on getting my 1000th post
Old 08-24-2008, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sometimes it just happens. I think all of us have been busted. It will happen again. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Not questioning the way you hunt, but 13 or 14 feet is not very high for bow hunting. I personally don't like being less than 20 feet while bow hunting. Preferably 23 to 25 feet if possible. You did say you had good cover though, so who knows. You weren't swatting mosquitoes, were you? I have been busted doing that before. Thank God for Thermacell now.I can't believe deer season opens so early there. Is there a particular reason why? Too many deer? South Carolina seems to have very liberal hunting seasons. Just a side note, if you come on here wondering why something happened, you have got to expect many different responses. Nobody is questioning your hunting knowledge or capabilities. There are many knowledgable hunters on this forum and they are just trying to help. Some are here to bash and start arguements, but most are not. Good luck, I'm sure you will eventually score.

Quick Reply: Disapointing results

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.