Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

** Keep it together!!...The Moment of Truth **

Old 08-24-2008, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ** Keep it together!! **

im still stuck on the "black out part".... as you said i can normally remembering drawin but after that i dont remember a think until after the arrows in the ground..
Old 08-24-2008, 12:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Wow... that was some good stuff right there. Very good post.

I like the Dr. Phil one the best....

4. Expect to see a Deer, Buck, Bear, elk………….
Another one that sounds dumb as a box of rocks right?.......again it isn’t!

You need to fully prepare your mind to actually see that animal you’ve been dreaming of, you WILL see a buck and he’s going to come from here, here, and here. Or maybe even over there.
Things can go from slow motion to fast forward in an instant and an unexpected adrenalin rush can send a situation that would normally find you in complete control to one that feels like it’s spinning out of your grasp and you need to do something quick to change it.
This can lead to full blown case of buck fever or shakes which generally makes the rest of these steps and clear headed decision making a tough task to accomplish!
So nip it in the bud and prepare yourself mentally with a good calm, positive mindset that has you confidently expecting what is going to happen and that you’re ready for it.

I know you’re saying “DUH!?”

Trust me we’ve all been zapped with that jolt of adrenaline because were simply praying to see an animal and were on pins and needles or conversely didn’t have high hopes and fully expected to see nothing. Both are a recipe for disappointment from the start.

Be in control of the situation before it even starts.

Ok enough Dr. Phil.

Old 08-24-2008, 01:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wow... that was some good stuff right there. Very good post.

I like the Dr. Phil one the best....
Thanks.........and FYI, I no longer fade or slice the ball and have been hammering the irons like I did years ago.[8D]

"Out at the ball"

I'll never forget it.

I keep my hands from getting out front, keep the shoulders in and go out at the ball and I can work a draw now. You wanted to see major "Blanking Out" you should have seen me trying to correct that one until I actually saw my swing plane.
Thanks again!
Old 08-24-2008, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Your mind will race the instant the bow hits full draw, and for the inexperienced or especially excitable it will also scream SHOOT! You have to beat that little voice back very early on because it will snowball very quickly and create panic. Panic = BAD..........Control = GOOD
Matt I've never heard anyone say that.......but it's 100% accurate. There's no amount or type ofpractice that will replicate it, either. We just have to understand it's goingto happen (mind racing).

Excellent, EXCELLENT point.
X2.....And for you beginners or guys who've been hunting awhile but haven't had a deer close enough to draw back on, just remember, if you get to this step in the process, and you do it without being detected, you just won the game 99% of the time, the hard part is over so relax and touch the trigger when he steps in your "window".

Very good Info Matt.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:11 PM
Fork Horn

Thank you very much for writting that up. This is my first year bow hunting and that helps a lot. I'll try to remember these steps. Thanks again very helpful
Old 08-24-2008, 04:26 PM

Default RE: ** Keep it together!!...The Moment of Truth **

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

10.Oh yeah.............Thou Shalt take good pictures.

Should say, Thou shalt take good picutres, with the bow in the picture.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's just part of taking good pictures.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great post, Matt. I won't hold it against you that you play golf, either[8D]

One specific detail to add to point number 2 for those of you with climbers. This may seem elementary to most, but it was a hard lesson I had to learn the hard way early in my bowhunting career. Make sure when first reaching your perch, that you check your upper stand section height for interference with the bow held at full draw. I like to bring the bow up, nock an arrow, and draw back in various directions AND angles to make sure my bow isn't going to hit any portions of my upper stand section.

This mainly pertains to climbers that have a wrap around section that goes in front of you, but it's not a bad practice to make a habit regardless of stand types (and it also aids in Matt's number one point about making sure you're comfortable).
Old 08-24-2008, 07:06 PM

Thanks for that post. Really hits almost evry aspect of the nail on the head.

Ill b reading it b4 i go huntin everytime
Old 08-25-2008, 08:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Great post, Matt. I won't hold it against you that you play golf, either[8D]
Problem is thatI used to be good at BOTH.........for some reason archery skill doesn't go away without lots of practice.
I do sort of enjoy being blissfully bad enough at golf to enjoy myself, fire a birdie now and then and not get too caught up in feeling like I should be shooting mid 70's every round.

If I suddenly sucked at archery/bowhunting as badly as I do at golf right now though I'd jam a pen in my neck.

Quick Reply: ** Keep it together!!...The Moment of Truth **

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.