Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

just a quik question

Old 08-23-2008, 06:23 PM

Default just a quik question

its bout that time here in wisconsin for bow season, its only a month away, and im gunna be huntin a new spot.
i was wonderin if there is ANYBODY that has some experience in hunting creek bottoms?
my new location is prime for bucks, and hasnt been hunted much, but i would like few pointers from a person who knows this specific sort of hunting...
thank you
Old 08-23-2008, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: just a quik question

Its 21 days away . Anyways I would hunt the crick bottomsnear feeding areas if that is possible. Find a heavy crossing and set up a trail camera.It will let you know what time they are using that trail. Cricks are also good for making funnels, hunt those also. But early season you want to be on the food and not in the woods IMO. Good luck and welcome!
Old 08-23-2008, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can you post some aerial images from yahoo maps or google earth? Try to put the property boundaries on the picture with Microsoft Paint.

This will present a better picture of the property your hunting.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well i dont have access to a creek bottom but have a ton of experience huntign river botttoms. Should be similar, whatcha needs help with. Youre going to get all kinds of responses from all over the US, but remember what may work in one part of the country may not work in our neck of the woods.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:49 AM
Fork Horn

Good luck this season!
Old 08-24-2008, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just keep in mind, the wind might be a little swirlly (is that a word) down in the bottom.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:40 AM

I recently got some property with a long creek botton and Im just gonna start hunting over the water pockets with the most tracks and watch where they are coming and going and then set up when i pin point a buck that i like or Im just gonna shoot a few does if no bucks are around..
Old 08-24-2008, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to hunt this one property that had a small creek running thru it.I'd wear my knee-high rubber boots and walk in the middle of the creek with the wind in my face.Picked off a few deer that way.They don't look for danger from water(unless there's things in there that can eat them like down south)
Old 08-24-2008, 12:56 PM

i appreciate all the responses, and im sorry that i didnt explain the property a little bit more and the location....
its in SW Wisconsin, Crawford County, the area is pretty fair size but the problems that arise are its a hike to the spot through/around swamp and bogs, and then you come to the creek, its a real curvy creek.
and i have read up alot on hunting creek bottoms, but i would like some more info from people that are doin it alot, or know more bout it.
keep the responses comin