Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what would it take to hunt

Old 08-22-2008, 08:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default what would it take to hunt

ok lets say normaly you have great groups all arrows in a 3 or 4 inch dot.

ok for some reason be it a injury or what ever you can not shoot all year untill say augs. 21st and season starts oct 1

When you start shooting and when bow season rolls around. you able to have ok groups but there not trophy winning groups.
At what size of groups do you figure it is ok to go bow hunting.

Is it 6 inchs or less or if you can hit a 12"x12" square is that good enough.
At what point would you wait a year.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: what would it take to hunt

You know what they say, a deers vitals are the size of a paper plate.I think you know where im going
Old 08-22-2008, 08:44 PM

We all want to put an arrow into a deer that will give the quickest kill. IMO i feel that no larger than 6" would be acceptable(over 30 yds). You wouldn't feel good if you put a bad shot on a deer and couldn't recover your kill. A 'hunter' owes it to himself and the deer to be able to put an ethical shot into a deer.JMO
Old 08-22-2008, 08:47 PM
Typical Buck

If my groups were 12 X 12 inchs I would take updifferent hobbie!

Old 08-22-2008, 09:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

In the 60s I useda 45 pound Bear recurve...Shot into a hay bale, my target wasa paper plate, I could drill it out to 25 yards, killed about 15 deer with that bow and the Bear 2 bladed heads...

I've also hunted with guys that could hit a coffee creamer at 25 yards with their setup and and couldn't hit at deer at 20...
Old 08-22-2008, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cooter144

If my groups were 12 X 12 inchs I would take updifferent hobbie!

Old 08-22-2008, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I was not shooting within 3-4 inch groups at 20 yards, I would be a little worried to pull the trigger. If I was shooting pie plate size groups at 20 yards, I would not be hunting in the woods until I brought the groups down to 3-4 inches at 20 yards, minimum.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I missed the '06 hunting season because of a neck injury so I didn't start shooting again for quite awhile.I also shoot traditional bows so I don't get too many "trophy" groups--but I can stack 'em in the vitals at 20yds,which is alright with me
Old 08-23-2008, 01:59 AM

Havent you noticed your very first shot of the day is always the best?? You start getting tired and your shot gets worse. If you can shoot in a 12 inch group over and over and over then your one shot on the buck of a lifetime is gonna be golden. You always have to factor in the ole' doe fever which happens to me all the time!!! If you were missing the bag every other shot then you might want to hang it up maybe??
Old 08-23-2008, 08:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

ya i have noticed the first group is good after the second they get worst
ORIGINAL: BrownBow33

Havent you noticed your very first shot of the day is always the best?? You start getting tired and your shot gets worse. If you can shoot in a 12 inch group over and over and over then your one shot on the buck of a lifetime is gonna be golden. You always have to factor in the ole' doe fever which happens to me all the time!!! If you were missing the bag every other shot then you might want to hang it up maybe??

Quick Reply: what would it take to hunt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.