Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Spotlighters: Has anybody ever tried one of these?

Old 08-22-2008, 02:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Spotlighters: Has anybody ever tried one of these?

I spotlight deer at least 2x per week, and I've fried more spotlights than I care to tell you about. Anyway, I recently got into videotaping some of the nicer deer, but I need a brighter light to illuminate at the longer ranges (250+ yds). My camera can focus at those ranges, but my current lights just peter out.

So, I went out to Cabela's and bought this 20 Million Candlepower (4500 Lumen) light. It has the highest lumen/cp rating of any light I've ever seen before.

I've got it charging at home, but probably won't have an opportunity to try it out until Sunday, at the earliest. It doesn't have to have a huge run-time, just 10-15 minutes or so, while I record.

My question is: Will it have a better range than the standard 1-2 Million 12V spotlights that run out of the regular power outlet?

Anybody have one of these?
Old 08-22-2008, 02:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Spotlighters: Has anybody ever tried one of these?

20M candlepower?

My lights dimmed HERE when you plugged that thing up.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

20 million? [&:]Fran, are you looking for deer or performing lasick eye surgery?
Old 08-22-2008, 02:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Dave, Jeff- you can never trust the Candlepower ratings. I've bought 3+ million CP spotlights that were dimmer than my old 750,000 lights. I don't know exactly how they measure the power ratings on these things, but I'd swear some of the higher rated lights aren't as bright as others.

I want a light bright enough that it puts off a bat signal that you can see from outer space.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

if nothing else youll be able to fry an egg on it!!!!!!!
Old 08-22-2008, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talk about your "deer in the headlights look" that thing will burn right through thier skull.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fran,
I have one that I bought from cabela's about 2 years ago and it is rediculously bright, Mine is not the cabela's brand it is a Cyclops that they used to sell. It too is 20m candle powewer and runs off of a 12v sealed rechargable battery, if yours is anything like this one you will have no problem getting 250yds out of it and it will last a lot longer than 10-15 minutes, my wife calls it the BUBBA light... They can shine as far as you can see when fully charged and mine will last about 30 minutes at full charge and full on...

BTW, those things are not real light weight, you might have to have an extra person to spotlight while you run the camera....
Old 08-22-2008, 02:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

likely battery life will STINK.

i have a small spotlight that you can unplug from the car and use...it starts dimming immediatly...just too much juice and not a big enough battery....

heres a thought.....a miners style light...commonly used for coon hunting....spot them from the road...get out with the coon hunting light(some have spotlights, mine doesnt and i dont need one, my head is BRIGHT) get out and "stalk" into range...probably wont be real hard to get within 100-200yds using terrain, wind and the cover of darkness...then you can setup a tripod and run the light easily...probably wont do anymore harm than actual spotting from a vehicle does....ive seen mannnnny deer absolutely bolt when a light hits them or a vehicle slows...just a thought...i might do some of that here soon(minus the video taping) just to sneak into areas vehicles cant reach(cornfields next to roads, treelines against the road hiding the fields etc...)

you wouldnt believe how close you can get to a deer in the dark....my shorts are still dirty from an encounter....last year? or 2 years ago...me and my buddy cut the dog loose and drove to a coldisack in a housing plan thats being built we have permission to turn loose in...got out...shut the doors and hit the fields just to see what was out there(always deer) when the biggest buck ive ever seen lifted his head like 50yds away...if i was in elk country, i would called it an elk....all you could see was BONE over 200yds away when he finally ran away you could still clearly see the bone in the spotlight!
Old 08-22-2008, 02:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Fran just get one of those light things the army uses. Light up the sky baby

Yes I have played around with one, it's bright, blinding bright
Old 08-22-2008, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your deer will be easy to kill, Just go in before daylight blind them and then wait till daybreak walk up and stick them with an arrow, Easy as cake.

Ryan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.