Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

LH or RH for youth

Old 08-22-2008, 01:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default LH or RH for youth

I have a 6 yr old boy who is showing intrest in archery. The issue is he is left handed. I also have a 11 year old girl who has been shooting for a while and is starting to out grow her RH bow. The problem is I don't know if I should get him shooting right handed so he can share bows with his older sister or if I should just go out and get him started lefty since it would be more natural for him. Thanks Jim
Old 08-22-2008, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: LH or RH for youth

It really depends on which eye is his dominate eye. I have friends that are left handed, but are right eye dominate and shoot right handed. If he is left eye dominate, I would suggest getting him a left handed bow. It will be much easier for him to pick up and successful, which means the world when talking about keeping his interest in it.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:40 PM
Fork Horn

Not many replies thus far, any more advise out there?
Old 08-27-2008, 03:50 PM
Fork Horn

I am a right hander. Do all my writing, throwing, catching, ect. this way. However, I am left-eye dominant, so all my aiming (bow, gun, sooting pool) is done as a lefty. I inheirited a right handed bow from my older brother when i was just starting out and was told to shoot this way. It worked ok, but later down the road, when I started having to buy my own bows, I began testing out left handers. It was much more natural to me and I ultimately made a switch to a left handed bow after a few years.

I would have to agree that getting him the gear that would make him most comfortable and successful would probably help to hold his interest more. Take him to a bow shop and see which one works best. If you want to keep his interest it might be best to start him out on the natural path.

Old 08-27-2008, 04:09 PM
Fork Horn

Yep, I would base it off of the dominant eye. I'm a lefty, but right-eye dominant so I shoot righty. My son is also a lefty and left-eye dominant, so he shoots lefty. I shoot shotguns left handed so that probably explains why I keep missing!
Also, if you don't have a bow, look at the Darton Ranger series. Adjustable draws and weight that will grow with him until he's ready for a big'un.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

You will hear two trains of thought on this. Some will say shoot which ever is most comfortable while others (and what I agree with) will say to shoot according to the dominant eye. Your son is young enough that now is the PERFECT time to start him out with a left handed bow. I'm 23. I've been shooting since I was 14. I'm left eye dominant, but right hand dominant. I have ALWAYS shot left handed rifles, but up until this spring I shot my bow right handed, because it was comfortable. I made the switch this spring, and haven't looked back since (no regrets, either). I would suggest going with the dominant eye. Ben/PA made the same switch I did this year as well. Maybe he will chime in.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:30 PM

Go with the eye dominance. My Uncle is left handed and right eye dominant, and is clearly a better shot with the proper eye. From experience, everyone in that situation ends up that way eventually anyway.