Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Can "Hunting" be defined?

Old 08-21-2008, 01:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Can "Hunting" be defined?

From a topic in another thread....

Can we say what "hunting" is to someone else" Can we define "hunting" FOR someone else?

If a man thinks what he's doing .....sitting over a baited site is "hunting"......can anyone say otherwise (and have ANY credibility)?

The same man is in a tree with his bow .......inside a fenced enclosure. He says he's "hunting". Can anyone define what he's doing as something other than that (barring personal opinion)?

I find it extremely condescending for someone to think they can determine what another hunter is receiving from HIS experience. Isn't everyone else's personal definition moot?

Disclaimer: Everything in the aforementioned is being done legally.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Can "Hunting" be defined?

Why do you keep bringing up baiting and fenced hunting together??
Old 08-21-2008, 01:29 PM
Dominant Buck

Because they're both legal methods of taking game.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are you peeing when you pee? Are you eating when you eat?

Hunting, hello, is defined as searching for something. I can be hunting car keys in my living room. How you hunt is your own business. Define how you kill deer and that is a different definition altogether.

LT
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Because they're both legal methods of taking game.
Not in PA.
Nontypical Buck

Can "Women" be defined?

They are similar creatures (hunting vs. women) IMO...

You cant really describe why you like em, but you cant live without doing either one!
Old 08-21-2008, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting can be defined but no we can't define hunting for anyone other than ourselves.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree that hunting is different for each person doing it. I have realized on this board that personal opinion is put out there pretty often as gospel. I believe the same can be said for those who look down on people because they took a young deer (fawn, button head or what not), or for taking a 1 1/2 or 2 1/2 year old deer. I have been bow hunting now for 26 years and what hunting is for me changes all the time, sometimes day-to-day. There are times when I want the challenge of taking nothing but a mature buck, other time I just want to shoot a deer. However, back you your question, IMO a person cannot pass judgement on another persons hunting style and still have credibility in my eyes.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

IMO it is NOT up to the individual to define hunting. Mr Webster and the game laws do that. Otherwise I could go out tonight, sit at the edge of a cornfield, camo’d up, bow, arrow nocked, whole 9 yards. If a Game Warden came up to me, I’d just say that I WASN’T hunting.

If you can say you are hunting when in fact you are sitting here typing, then you should be able to say you are waiting for a bus while you are sitting in your treestand.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Rybo:

There's nothing illegal about sitting in your treestand at night.

We got into this conversation a couple years ago when someone tried to say I was breaking the law by going ot my stand at 4:00AM.

I talked to the GW here and told him about the conversation we were having, here. I asked....."Am I doing anything against the law by going to my stand at 4:00AM"? Chris (GW) asks...."It's dark at 4:00AM, right"? "yup". "Then how in the hell could you be hunting"?

At 4:00AM I'm waiting to hunt.

You're bringing (IMO) the variable of illegal activity into the equation where it doesn't belong. I stated in the original post that everything being done was being done,legally.

Quick Reply: Can "Hunting" be defined?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.