Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Can "Hunting" be defined?

Old 08-21-2008, 10:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Can "Hunting" be defined?

take today for example...i was groundhog hunting. i enjoy sitting in the sun...the peace and quiet of the farmland on a summer evening...watching summer fade into autumn with doves and geese showing up greater in numbers daily...

but, did i put together a rifle that is over 1200$ to enjoy that? heck no! i put that rifle together to really reach out and touch em...to me, its the ultimate feeling laying out on my rugs throwing a camo shirt over my head to keep the sun off my eyes and eye piece...getting the chuck in my crosshairs...watching the grass and trees to read the wind over 300 yds to the target and figuring out where the wind is going to take my bullet. watching the chuck in my scope waiting for the wind to be perfect and the body position to be favorable to ensure a solid hit. watching my breathing and controlling it to ensure a clean shot...focusing on a smooth slow deliberate pull of the trigger so i dont move off target...feeling the recoil and hearing the crack of the rifle and hearing the unmistakable thud of a solid hit and watching the bullet strike the target...to me, that is the ultimate feeling. i cant describe it...its hunting. the hours of glassing and scanning the fields and holes waiting for a target to appear...10000% different from bowhunting...but its still hunting.

different strokes for different folks....some guys realize that reality...others never will get it. i have yet to find a form of hunting i do NOT enjoy. deer drives, deer stands, bowhunting, flintlock, busting a fall turkey flock, walking into a fall flock and killing one before the bust, squirrel hunting, coon hunting with hounds, predator calling, ive done a ton of different types of hunting and am always looking for more expiriences...i love it all. im a hunter.

there are certain things that some call hunting, which i guess by definention may be, but i do not see that as hunting. (canned hunts) but, im not opposed to baiting, using hounds, driving, whatever...if its legal, have at it! maybe i'll join you one day! maybe i'll enjoy it...maybe i wont...dont knock it till ya tried it!
Old 08-22-2008, 06:34 AM
Typical Buck

Differant states definine hunting differantly as well.
for instance we can`t hunt over bait like apples or a feeder in Mn. I really wish we could.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

ORIGINAL: JESUS loves archers

The term "Fair Chase" shall not include the taking of animals under the following conditions:
[ol][*]Helpless in a trap, deep snow or water, or on ice.[*]From any power vehicle or power boat.[*]While confined behind fences as on game farms, etc.[*]By "Jacklighting" or shining at night.[*]By the use of tranquilizers or poisons.[*]By the use of any power vehicles or power boat for herding or driving animals, including the use of aircraft to land alongside or to communicate with or direct a hunter on the ground.[*]By the use of electronic devices for attracting, locating or pursuing game, or guiding the hunter to such game, or by the use of a bow or arrow to which any electronic device is attached.[*]Any other condition considered by the Board of Directors as unsportsmanlike[/ol]

So, does that mean no rangefinders, no red dot sights and no lighted nocks?
Nope. Red dot sights, maybe, but the rangefinder isn't attached to the bow and doesn't locate the deer. Also, my lumenocks are electrical, not electronic. Same with thelighted sights. Electrical, not electronic. Big difference.

3. While confined behind fences as on game farms, etc.
Now I love the way that's worded.... as it should be. It sort of leaves the door open to debate.
If you range an animal you have "located" its exact distance. Luminocks and lighted sights use electronic components which would make them electronic devices. Hey, I could be wrong but you may want to check with P&Y before you shoot your book book. Personally, I don't really care what folks use but if you want to follow someone else's rules you may want to check the interpretation of said rules.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:43 AM
Kid
Typical Buck

Hunting is as hunting does. No one else will decide for me.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

You cant tell someone else what hunting is or should be. Its ones personal experience. Like someone mentioned before, hunting is the act of tracking and finding ones target. In its most basic form, hunting is the search for the intended quarry. If we really wanted to argue over it, i believe that onecould even "hunt" even though its not legal. Someone who drives around and spotlights deer, then shoots them with a high powered rifle is still "hunting", obviously not legal and i certainly dont approve of it. They are out searching for something to shoot. Hunting is different to each person. To one its planting food plots, setting mineral licks, setting up cameras, making sure they are scent free, waiting on the right weather and time of year, then passing on small bucks hoping to "hunt" that magical 200" monster. To others its that one weekend a year when they go out with their family to deer camp, drink beers, smoke cigars and tell stories, then sit in a stand and hope to just see a deer. Different strokes for different folks. No arguing over it is going to change anything. Lets just let everyone enjoy what makes them happy, and lets all just worry about ourselves for a change.