Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ground Blinds...Are you using them this year?

Old 08-21-2008, 09:04 AM
Fork Horn

Default Ground Blinds...Are you using them this year?

I've read a lot of articles recently saying more and more hunters are using them for deer hunting. But I'm interested how many hunters on here are?

If so, why and what's your best set-up? i.e. a hub style blind on a field edge, a pop-up tucked into heavy cover deep in the woods, or sitting in the tall grass in one of the plains states. If not, why not?

I do use them in many of my set-ups mainly because I'd get busted in a tree for lack of cover or there's not good tree to hunt from. I have grown to like them but know many can't stand them.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ground Blinds...Are you using them this year?

I am using one next to an apple tree/corn field. No where to put a stand because of smaller trees/bad winds. I brushed it in with some pine branches and it's a killer spot. I will be in there opening night filming a hunt!!

22 days left!!!
Old 08-21-2008, 09:59 AM
Typical Buck

I just got on a new lease that is mostly mesquite trees... So I have one good spot for a tree stand and other than that I will have a couple ground blinds setup.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will be stalk hunting in mid-October and will be utilizing ground blinds made of laydowns if I find good spots.

I made a ground blind from laydowns near a water pool from a creek about 2 months ago. There were deer tracks all over the dang thing in the middle of the summer. If we get a heat wave in October that lasts more than a few days, I will sitting in that spot if the wind is right.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: npockat32

I am using one next to an apple tree/corn field. No where to put a stand because of smaller trees/bad winds. I brushed it in with some pine branches and it's a killer spot. I will be in there opening night filming a hunt!!

22 days left!!!
Its alot easier to film your own hunts when your on the ground IMO. Even if you have a tree limb for your camera, its still difficult.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have been toying with the idea but haven't picked one up...have a nice brushy draw coming out of a orchard that I may have to have a ground blind to hunt....
Old 08-21-2008, 11:29 AM
Typical Buck

I will use my ground blind when I take my 6 year old son with me. I have mine set up just inside the woods in an area that appears to be the staging area for evening feeding in a soy bean field. I use a hub style.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'll be on the ground some, but no blinds for me.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:58 AM
Spike

I got a problem with getting my fat self up in a tree on a narrow platform. I'm sticking to the ground.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:21 PM
Fork Horn

Rybohunter, so how do you do it then. Use a natural blind or blowdowns? Sit in the tall grass? What sort of camo do you use. Interested because I've experimented using no blinds on wildlife areas around here with little success. But then I haven't done that much either. I typically wear an open pattern like Predator fall grey.

Quick Reply: Ground Blinds...Are you using them this year?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.