Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how much money do we waste

Old 08-21-2008, 07:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: how much money do we waste

now a real hunter is one who cares about the deer
When in ky i feed there deer 100 pounds a week easy some week 150 or 200
I seen 18 deer in my back yard at one time.
Even in the off season i had corn out
ORIGINAL: DropTine249

Anymore- I buy only things I need. Stands, spikes and climbing sticks eat up alot of money. In the offseason- keeping 6 feeders loaded isnt cheap, either.

However, I never think twice about spending money on something that benefits the wildlife, even if they have plenty of food readily available, already.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

We all spend a lot but getting the goodies is a big part of the fun!!!

I try to keep much of it under the radar from the wife though!
Old 08-21-2008, 08:10 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

Well...I'm on the other end...I'll be 53 next week...My bow is over 15 years old and I bought it used for $200...It fits me perfectlly because I'm a finger shooter, have no desire to use a release and most of the major manufacturest don't even make a finger bow anymore...So, this year I bought a dozen 2413s and a pack of replacement blades for my Muzzys and Thunderheads, I'm ready to hunt...

I gun hunt as well...My .243 is 28 years old...
Same here, although I am only 23, my bow is over 20 years old (my dad killed many deer with it in the 80s and 90's)-also a finger shooter and my other bow is an older Falcon takedown recurve. I buy arrows about every other year when needed (I make and repair my own to save money) and other supplies when needed. I do buy small stuff every year like broadheads and scent pods, scent free detergent and so forth. I save alot of money getting used stuff from my father and online.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:26 AM
Spike

Im 20 minutes from Cabelas and have made more trips than I would like to admit there this year. Hunting is what I enjoy the most so I dont really look into what I am spending. I dont go crazy but if there is something I want or actually need I go and get it. This year I cut down on golf and golfing supplies to spend alittle more on my hunting needs. I guess I NEEDED quite a few things.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:01 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

ok i have been ordering my gear for the year. it comes to around 2000. i wish it was 4000 so i had everything i wanted.
Good lord!!! $2000!! I have only spent about $800 this year and already my wife is talking about killing me!!! .....I wish I could drop that kinda money on hunting without getting two black eyes
Old 08-21-2008, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not much anymore. I try to spend only on necessities and save the rest for trips out of state.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:26 AM
Typical Buck

Dang!! I just saw the weekly sales flier for academy and there are two things that I "have to have".... I am gonna have to hide the credit card bill at the end of the month...
Old 08-21-2008, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

One thing thats helped me is getting a Bass Pro Shop credit card. I use it to pay for everything and I pay it off every month. In the last six months I bought a spott hog sight, a bitzenburger jig, Nikon Prostaff 550 rangefinder, a Garmin GPS and a pair of binoculars and I only used about $50 of my own money.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Centaur 1

One thing thats helped me is getting a Bass Pro Shop credit card. I use it to pay for everything and I pay it off every month. In the last six months I bought a spott hog sight, a bitzenburger jig, Nikon Prostaff 550 rangefinder, a Garmin GPS and a pair of binoculars and I only used about $50 of my own money.
I do the same thing
Old 08-21-2008, 11:37 AM

I usually don't spend a ton on gear as I'm pretty much set on everything a fellow might need. However, this year was an exception [8D] I'm not able to go out of state this year b/c we just had a baby and didn't want to be gone so I spent that money on gear... I've spent over $1,000 on camo alone [:-]Then again, I hadn't bought much camo in ten years and probably won't for another ten.

I enjoy getting new "stuff".. It's all part of the fun for me.