Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

elevated shots

Old 08-21-2008, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: elevated shots

ORIGINAL: TFOX

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

ORIGINAL: TFOX

The arrow will not gain enough speed in a hunting distance that one could ever notice.The uphill shot is shot the exact same way so that eliminates that from the equation,atleast at close distances.

Now in field archery shooting 80 yard shots uphill or downhill,then there might be some validity to that argument.
I've long since put away my Physics books, actually, sold them because as ALL COLLEGE students seemed to be, I needed money. But I thoughtthat an arrow DID gain a small amount of velocity, but you're probably right, it's not enough really that most of us would know the difference. I do know that for me, a longuphill shot shoots for more like 43-44yds rather than the 40 that my RF tells me it is. And I believe that IS due to loss of velocity.
It is because it is the hypotenuse of the angle,just like a downhill shot.

Here is a chart of my bow.Notice the difference in uphill and downhill is almost nonexistent untill you get to greater distances.Uphill has a sight paralax issue as well.That is where most of the difference comes from.

Those are mostly just numbers, but I seem to find that they don't correlate with what I get shooting uphill vs. downhill. I know it may be form or whatever, but I can put a target 35yds LINE OF SIGHT distance at my house on my hill out back, and if I shoot downhill, I'm just a touch high, not enough to worry about, but uphill, I'm lower than the downhill shot is high. Drop is about 2" uphill, 1" downhill for me personally. The elevation change is probably about 30ft, not sure what the angle is, not really that worried about it, I just know that for me personally, I find that the UPHILL shots, at least on gentle angles, less than 45* or so, I have to add yardage, not cut yardage, and the only rationale for that that I can think of is loss of velocity. Gravity works at 9.8m per second squared, and if the arrow is in the air longer, it only makes sense that it's going to drop further than expected.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

You probably hit the answer,form is most likely the culprit,BUT,you have also practiced the shot and no what is needed to make it.That is the important part.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:29 PM
Spike

my stands are around 20ft. in the air. I was referring to in my last comment that from 26 yards to 30 yards, my bow set at 65lbs. shooting XX78 Aluminum arrows drops wicked. The 3-4 yards difference from 26-30. I shoot a Savage Pendulum sight which is a great sight. I don't usually have to worry about how far they are, no guessing what pin to shoot with a pendulum. Just aim and shoot. I can shoot on the ground with same pin out to 30 yards also. Most of my shots are in close, usually 15 yards to 25 yards out.