Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Very cool group of visitors past my trail camera

Old 08-21-2008, 05:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Very cool group of visitors past my trail camera

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

I have actually taken 2,one with a pistol and 1 with a bow(both were browns).I even passed on a grey that passed 10 yards in front of my stand after the landowner said he didn't want them killed.
Todd, are you referring to some sort of color phase in your locale? I've never heard bobcats being referred to in this way...
Yes,we have 2 diferent color phases.The brown like in your pics and greys.

we have these

And some similar to these,actually,ours are more solid grey,atleast the ones I have seen.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:57 PM

Pleading ignorance here. I thought Bobcats were smaller? I would have said this was a mountain lion, but everyone is shotting Bobcats. What's the distinguishing features between the two?
Old 08-21-2008, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

My sister took this pic. a week or to ago.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Obvious differences.

Mountain lion

Old 08-21-2008, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DoePeeSteve

Pleading ignorance here. I thought Bobcats were smaller? I would have said this was a mountain lion, but everyone is shotting Bobcats. What's the distinguishing features between the two?
My dad has killed two big male's that were over 40lb.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:09 PM
Fork Horn

Bobcats are deffinatly the coolest predators...awesome pics
Old 08-21-2008, 06:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here is a bigger version of the one I let pass,almost identical colors.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been fortunate enough to see them quite a few times in the woods. I have seen females with litters of kittens on two seperate occasions both times in Vermont. One time they hung around the stand for several hours popping in and out of view. We also pushed one out of a deer drive once when I was a kid and it held tight till I was less than 20 yards from it. I've also called them in while coyote hunting when I didn't have tags for the bobcat and let them pass. They will chase a laser pointer like a house cat.

TFox, I think your referring to summer/winter phase bobcats and their coats. They tend to have more spots in the wintertime, their summer coats tend to get more of a gray/solid color pattern and from what I've seen stays that way till late Oct or so.

You guys are gonna make me break out that picture of mine that started the 30+ page thread a few years ago. [8D]

Old 08-21-2008, 07:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I KNEW we'd finally get there... it only took 5 pages!!! [8D][8D]

Not poking fun at you at all, DoePeeSteve... you probably have no idea what a "history" of controversy we have on this board in regards to bobcat vs. mountain lion... as Rick James alluded to with is "30+page thread" comment. Seems as big a group of outdoorsmen we've got here, we've also got quite a few who weren't very studied when it comes to their mammalogy.

Adult male mountain lionsmay be more than 8 feet long from nose to end of tail and generally weigh between 130 and 150 pounds. Adult females can be 7 feet long and weigh between 65 and 90 pounds. Large bobcats are generally no larger than30 pounds -- though have been known to reach 50 or more -- but the average bobcat is only 15 to 20 pounds. Their tails are only six to seven inches long, as opposed to a mountain lion's, which can be over three feet long.

There's a very distinct difference between the two.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

You guys are gonna make me break out that picture of mine that started the 30+ page thread a few years ago. [8D]

Do it and die.

[:-]

Quick Reply: Very cool group of visitors past my trail camera

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.