Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Simple. Are you a better hunter because of what you read here?

Old 08-20-2008, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Simple. Are you a better hunter because of what you read here?

I voted no. You can call it arrogance or refusing to learn or whatever you want to. I do my learning in the deer woods through actual experience and though I have only been bowhunting for going on 20 years, I have learned through trial and error and been a pretty good student of the game. I enjoy the site and I think their is some good info (and some bad) passed around but at this point in my hunting career I have done and tried just about everything where whitetails are concerned and had some pretty respectable success doing so. I have read some really good stuff on here but I just haven't ever read anything on here that made me say "wow I never heard of that or wow I need to try that". No disrespect meant to the site or anyone here, but I come here fuel the fire and share the passion but my learning comes from hands on experience. Flame away..
Old 08-20-2008, 03:32 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: silentassassin

I voted no. You can call it arrogance or refusing to learn or whatever you want to. I do my learning in the deer woods through actual experience and though I have only been bowhunting for going on 20 years, I have learned through trial and error and been a pretty good student of the game. I enjoy the site and I think their is some good info (and some bad) passed around but at this point in my hunting career I have done and tried just about everything where whitetails are concerned and had some pretty respectable success doing so. I have read some really good stuff on here but I just haven't ever read anything on here that made me say "wow I never heard of that or wow I need to try that". No disrespect meant to the site or anyone here, but I come here fuel the fire and share the passion but my learning comes from hands on experience. Flame away..
Sounds alot like what I said on one of the first couple pages,youre not alone.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Simple.....No
Old 08-20-2008, 04:22 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: my7pointmonster

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

Ever since I joined this site- I havn't seen a deer.
Hahhaha That was my favorite post out of all 7 pages

Ryan.
I thought the same thing. Actually funny. LOL

Apology sincerely accepted. I was probably just a tad over reactive simply because so many refuse to accept my answer. LOL Have a nice day everyone.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: davidmil

ORIGINAL: my7pointmonster

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

Ever since I joined this site- I havn't seen a deer.
Hahhaha That was my favorite post out of all 7 pages

Ryan.
I thought the same thing. Actually funny. LOL

Apology sincerely accepted. I was probably just a tad over reactive simply because so many refuse to accept my answer. LOL Have a nice day everyone.
I was really happy with your answer David, I thought it took my question for what it was and diddnt read anything into it. Simply put odds are you are just as good of a hunter as you were before you joined here, look at it like this. if you have a bag that can hold 50 marbles and you have 49 and a half in it its hard to get another whole marble in it. Bad analogy but it makes sence if you think about it, way to stick to your guns and thanks for taking all the flack.

Ryan.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:04 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm not as good. I can't walk as far, climb the hills, drag the dead meat or any of that as well as I did when I was young lean 160 pound Captain in Uncle Sams Army straight off 2 years in Vietnam. And frankly, I don't try to anymore. It used to be an obsession. Now it's somewhere between an IV and a heart pill. If someone ask real nice I can be talked out of a hunt in favor of a golf match. LOL 2 years ago on opening day of NY's Southern Tier I had this buck coming right to me. I called my buddy and told him, buck coming... yup a shooter. We were back in about a mile. He said if you shoot that thing we'll never get him out of the woods for hours. We're suppose to leave the woods at 9:30 to go golfing, do what you want. The deer walked by with another buck and 4 does at 22 yards. I climbed down and walked out. LOL I won at golf.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

A better hunter? No. Better informed? Yes.