Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Simple. Are you a better hunter because of what you read here?

Old 08-19-2008, 08:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Simple. Are you a better hunter because of what you read here?

Well, I have been hunting for 189 years, 180 of them with a pocket knife and fishing line and I haven't learned a darn thing from you jerks on here.......especially YOU GMMAT and SCHULTZY.......panda jerks!!
Old 08-19-2008, 08:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

from HNI ive learned a TON....

i MIGHT not bowhunt or flintlock hunt without HNI...honestly. ive been here before ive done both...but without the help of some awesome guys on here, i dont know if i would got into either....

i knew noone that knew much of anything about either...im not the kinda guy that blows money on something that i have no idea about and am not the kinda guy that does something that i dont know i can be proficient with....because HNI ive killed deer with both my bow and flintlock rifle...i can outshoot all my buddies with both and been doing both for years less than most of them...

definently helps with learning...if it didnt, i wouldnt be here...

also all kinds of OTHER help...turkey hunting...fishing....computer trouble, heck i can post a crazy poorly described car problem and have someone pinpoint what is wrong with my vehicle....HNI has cured colds and other medical problems lol.....

i learn alot from this place

oh ya.....

some stuff, you gotta take with a grain of salt....theres some people i trust pretty well...others i wouldnt take advice from if they were the only ones giving it...not that they TRY to mislead or anything...just sometimes they arent "qualified" to give the advice they give...gotta becareful what you take from a public forum...

im still surprised that over 1/4 of the people that voted said NO!!!? ROB!!! post the list of the people that voted no!!! lol
Old 08-19-2008, 09:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bhunter50

Well, I have been hunting for 189 years, 180 of them with a pocket knife and fishing line and I haven't learned a darn thing from you jerks on here.......especially YOU GMMAT and SCHULTZY.......panda jerks!!
You look good for your age!!
Old 08-19-2008, 11:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

Yes, but it is important to know the person you are learning from. It takes time to be able to determine who really knows what.
X2.
I have learned alot here and made friends here. I like it. But the above comment is also true too. Its the way of the internet.[:-]Sometimes you have to sift thru the BS and get to the truth. This also means you will spend more time here, getting to know everyone. While they get to know you. Expect it, Move on and enjoy.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:17 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks Schultzy, I use Proactiv and Avon Anti-Aging Products. And for the record...I answered yes because I am humble.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:26 AM
Typical Buck

I would say probly not but I do like reading about other peoples thoughts and experiences while waiting for the seasons to open. I do learn something once in a while though.

rick

Old 08-20-2008, 06:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

I answered no. I learn in the woods not on a computer it's how I am. Have I had some great conversations on hunting sure.I used to talk with one guy on here years ago about hunting close to beds but he isn't on here anymore.Have I picked up any new techniques or where to place a stand honestly no. I have never said to myself wow I never thought about that, or I have to try that. Hunting is pretty easy it's what you get out it that matters.

I do believe if your new to hunting or you don't have a mentor it's a great place to learn.

What I do find interesting is how different other peoples hunting situations are.

To be honest some of the advice I read makes me wonder how some people kill deer consistently. That's a down side for a new guy,wading through the BS.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

I answered yes, becuase it's the truth and I have applied some of what I have learned on here in the woods. Some of what I've learned has worked and some has been crap. Either way I'm a better hunter for it.

I can see how someone could vote no though. While this site is a wealth of information if you do not apply any of that information to how you hunt then it doesn't make you a better hunter. It doesn't make you all knowing, it's just that you have your own way of hunting that works for you so what is available here isn't applied. So, you're not a better hunter from this site.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

I suppose it all boils down to how you define “better”. Has it physically made me more likely to see a twitch of an ear, hear that twig snap or stand without being busted. NO.
Did I consistently kill deer before coming here, YEP.
Would I have killed the same deer I did after I started visiting this place….doubtful.
Have I gained information that I apply to my hunting? Yep.

Overall I don’t think I’ve found any earth shattering strategies or tactics that made me suddenly a better hunter. What I have gained is subtle ideas to apply to my situation and see if they work. I have gained an EMORMOUS amount of open mindedness which, is probably never a bad thing. I’ve gained tons of technical knowledge and made great friends.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:22 AM
Dominant Buck

You know, for all the flak I received for giving my answer.... it's nice to note I'm not the only one. 30 percent of the people said NO. How about that. That means at least 30 percent of us don't know what we're talking about. LOL

Quick Reply: Simple. Are you a better hunter because of what you read here?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.