Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Simple. Are you a better hunter because of what you read here?

Old 08-19-2008, 01:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Simple. Are you a better hunter because of what you read here?

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

I'm certainly a more entertained one .

You got that right!!!!!!!!
Old 08-19-2008, 01:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: peakrut

Sure, especially the tech side of it.
I agree with ya here Tony! You can get some answers pretty quick that can save one a lot of grief!
Old 08-19-2008, 01:42 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

There isn't a person on here that doesn't get something out of this site. If your not, its your own fault. This is not directed at you either David.
But see, there you go trying to lump everyone in the same boat. Honestly, I'm open to all sorts of new things, but hunting I've done for a long time and since before we had these big herds we have today. I started with the recurve and went on from there. When I started bowhunting I hunted for probably 4 or 5 years without ever seeing another bowhunter in the woods. Deer haven't changed... just got more plentiful. The question was about HUNTING. Sure I've picked up some things about other things, like new equipment etc etc. I've learned things, but not things to make me a better hunter unless some day I were to hunt behind a fence.[8D] I say I've been hunting for 50 years. That's the legal years. I was hunting alone when I was 8 in the Adirondack foothills. All my spending money and money for hunting came from trapping all through middle and highschool. Except they didn't call them middle schoolss then. Just what do you think I'll learn about hunting whitetails from GMMAT or you. Now never having hunted Elk or Mule deer or antelope, well sure I can and have picked up a lot of good info. But since I don't hunt them, it hasn't made me a better hunter of what I hunt. I've got 50 years of OJT for whitetails, 38 of it with a bow. I don't get surprised much anymore.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:47 PM

ORIGINAL: davidmil

There isn't a person on here that doesn't get something out of this site. If your not, its your own fault. This is not directed at you either David.
But see, there you go trying to lump everyone in the same boat. Honestly, I'm open to all sorts of new things, but hunting I've done for a long time and since before we had these big herds we have today. I started with the recurve and went on from there. When I started bowhunting I hunted for probably 4 or 5 years without ever seeing another bowhunter in the woods. Deer haven't changed... just got more plentiful. The question was about HUNTING. Sure I've picked up some things about other things, like new equipment etc etc. I've learned things, but not things to make me a better hunter unless some day I were to hunt behind a fence.[8D] I say I've been hunting for 50 years. That's the legal years. I was hunting alone when I was 8 in the Adirondack foothills. All my spending money and money for hunting came from trapping all through middle and highschool. Except they didn't call them middle schoolss then. Just what do you think I'll learn about hunting whitetails from GMMAT or you. Now never having hunted Elk or Mule deer or antelope, well sure I can and have picked up a lot of good info. But since I don't hunt them, it hasn't made me a better hunter of what I hunt. I've got 50 years of OJT for whitetails, 38 of it with a bow. I don't get surprised much anymore.
Hmm, I thought the question said Are you a better hunter because of this site, not are you a better hunter of what you have hunted since the begining of time because of this site. Your still a hunter, and wether you like it or not, you are a better hunter because of this sight. You are a better hunter because you know about how to hunt elk and mule deer now, in my book, thats a better hunter than someone that can only hunt fox or squrrils.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:03 PM
Typical Buck

I adimantly agree,I`ve been hunting since I was.....I don`t remember,I`ve been bowhunting for 20 odd years and everything I`ve learned has been from my uncles and my grandpa who passed away in 1996,I see this as a bowhunting chat room nothing more.
Trial and error throug decades of hunting whitetails is how you learn.All the tech stuff seems to be a matter of opinion.I love speed and fps for passing through deer at long range but that`s not something you hear around here. just my opinion.
Respect to the older bowhunters,we could all learn alot if we could see what you`ve seen and realize that the only way to the top is to climb.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, but it is important to know the person you are learning from. It takes time to be able to determine who really knows what.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Just what do you think I'll learn about hunting whitetails from GMMAT or you.
I wouldn't have worn blue undies under a sun dress.

I'm just sayin........

Old 08-19-2008, 02:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Lmao!! I take it you don't learn anything anymore when your deer hunting either by yourself??
Old 08-19-2008, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

considering Im only 22 years old, I look at huntingnet as a place to learn from more experienced hunters. When I first got on hunting net awhile back I was afraid to ask a lot of questions thinking I'd be made fun of for not knowing certain things, but a lot of people on here have helped me and taught me. Besides, hunting and the outdoors is on my mind all day, so for me, huntingnet.com is not only a source of knowledge, but also entertainment.

Adam Bowman
Old 08-19-2008, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can't really say I am. I've been hunting for 50 years and bowhunting for 38. I was bowhunting before most people on the board were born.I think before I came here 5 or whatever years ago I've seen it all or heard it all or read it all somewhere. I've hunted from Texas, to New England, to Georgia. If there had been such things as computers and talk forums when I began it could have saved me a lot of time and trials and tribulations.[&:] That said, there's also times where misinformation is being spread as the TRUTH. Usually someone will step up and point it out and it gets resolved, but still, there are times people will go with the misinformation. We'll all end up at the same place in the end, better educated whether it's threw trial and error, talk forums, magazines etcor a combination thereof. Personnally, I can't give you one instance where I've been wrong. LOL[8D][8D][8D][8D]
Thats a very good well thought out answer, which was what I was hoping for from one of the people who said no, it does pose a valid point. I'm glad someone who answered no said why they answered no.

Ryan.

Quick Reply: Simple. Are you a better hunter because of what you read here?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.