Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ground blind

Old 08-19-2008, 10:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default ground blind

I am thinking of hunting out of a ground blind this year.(with my bow) I just wanted to know if anyone has done or still does do this and if they have any luck? Plus some tips if you have any![/i]
Old 08-19-2008, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ground blind

I think more people are hunting out of ground blinds not more than ever. There are so many good ground blinds on the market and at just about every price level. As far as tips go, I have had my best luck with the blinds that have the shoot thru windows, but you can only use fixed blade BHs out of them.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:22 PM
Fork Horn

I have done about 90 percent of my hunting out of ground blinds the past few years and I believe the most important factors for success - and I learned this through plenty of trial and error - is blind placement and blind windows.

Figure out the trails, studying every direction and route a deer may travel to ensure you don't set up right in their probable path. Instead, set your blind off to the side in the background, at least 20-25 yards from where you think they will be. And then brush it in to mesh with the surroundings.

As for the windows, have as few open as possible and have those opened as little as possible. Otherwise, you might as well be sitting outside your blind as the deer will see you. Have a friend walk around your blind from 50 yards out and closer when you do set it up the first time to see if they can spot you in there easily. Wearing all black inside can help camouflouge you better.

Finally, practice out of your blind. Shoot through the mesh and get a feel for it. Mesh will not affect fixed head flight but you need to get the feel for shooting out of a confined space like that as the mental game could be more of a factor if you don't.

Good luck!

P.S. I have hub style and pop-ups (ring blinds).I like both but prefer the hubs. Go to the pro shop and have them help you set a few up to draw your bow in before you bring it home.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:26 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I've hunted out of one quite a bit. Antelope, elk and turkeys don't pay any attention to them. Whitetail deer are another story. I have yet to have a whitetail get within shooting distance of one.

I see them using them on TV but wonder how long they leave them out? I think with a whitetail you better get it in the woods now and leave it in place so they get used to seeing the blind. The deer here see it from 100 yards and start stomping and won't come close. That is with the windows closed. I have had no luck with deer and have tried brushing it in, not brushing it in, etc. Unless you have a place you can really get it hid in some bushes or trees I think they will see it and stay away.

I left one set up on the edge of a corn field the deer were using and ended up with a trashed blind. Mice ate holes in it, the fabric bleached and the SD wind got the best of it. Knocked it down, pulled 2 tie down straps off and broke two of the poles. This was a DB. They fixed it for free but it was pretty much trashed and is still sun bleached. Leaving them out for a couple months is not a real good option.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:50 PM
Fork Horn

I have had relatively good luck in terms of not getting busted in the big woods with mine not brushed in and I leave mine out for 3 months at a time, but they are in the shade and heavy cover for much of it so no chance for sun bleaching.

I might also add sent control and wind are much more important on the ground.

Here is a good article I did a search on and finally found:

http://www.bowhunting.com/fieldjournal/fieldjournal_detail.aspx?nID=416

Old 08-19-2008, 08:03 PM

i have great luck with it, i have it on the edge of an apple orchard, the only thing to watch out for is the arrows hitting the blind when you shoot, it would prob wouldnever happen but its always a fear in the back of my mind
Old 08-20-2008, 12:39 AM
Typical Buck

The wind is your biggest worry hunting out of a blind. I like blind hunting if it's the rightscenerio.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I shot my first buck out of a natural blind, and my brother shot a gobbler out of an Ameristep last year. They do work, but they require alot of work IMO.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:50 AM

if you have a real blind, one thats a tent,the wind shouldent play any role in your disicion on when to hunt it....most, if not all of them are wind proff and scent
Old 08-20-2008, 11:04 AM
Fork Horn

I will be down wind. So I think I will give it a try. It cant hurt.

Quick Reply: ground blind

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.