Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

So, What's a Rob Buck? (explained)

Old 08-17-2008, 09:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default So, What's a Rob Buck? (explained)

I see a couple newbies asking, What's a Rob buck. Well it all started by accident. In 2004, first year for our contest 2 days before the end of our PA season this 3.5 year old walks out. I honestly thought it was a spike on the left side but it turned out that it was his brow tine and his main beam was snapped right at the base beyond his brow. He twisted his main beam and it can't be seen in the picture.

The Start of the Rob Buck Conspiracy:

The next year, 2005 and our second season for our contest. The last day of archery was Nov 12th. I had my good friend Kurt hunting with me that last week. Nov 10, my birthday this next buck chased a few does into our turkey setup. We were in a ground blind in the afternoon trying to catch a few longbeards we had pattern. Well, I always, always wanted to shoot a buck on my birthday and in 26 seasons it never happened. I either tagged out before or never saw one on my birthday. This bucks stepped out at 19 yards, he was a 2.5 year old and would probably be nothing more than that spike on his right side. A 12.5" spike X 4. I took him as my Birthday Buck.

So the Conspiracy continues: LOL

In 2006 I took a typical 8 point. Had a solid matched set of antlers but the week prior I did miss a big, thick busted up heavey horned 4.5 year old Rob buck. Most forget that one because fast forward to 2007. Oct 29th, this 3.5 steps out and I made the right decision taking him, he was the best buck I had in range the following 2 weeks hunting as the cameraman to my friend Kurt.

Another Fine Rob buck.

No one knows what this year has in store for ole Rob. I head to IL the second week of Nov and rumor has it I'll tag a 150" busted rack...lmao.

In PA, I know have this 5 x 3 haunting my mornings outside my bathroom window.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: So, What's a Rob Buck? (explained)

Rob, what part of Illinois are you hunting?
Old 08-17-2008, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rob, I havent seen this guy this year, but If I do, He's dedicated to you
Old 08-17-2008, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey man your giving me a BAD name. Rob bucks are the ones you don't get shots at but have them w/in range. Maybe its a local thing though[X(]
And ROB/PA Bowyer....... that first buck would have been a dandy...... if he didn't lose one side. Still nice buck, sounds like that boy had some character.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I love the Rob bucks. Good luck this year buddy. I'm sure as soon as they come out of velvet the buck will be smashing their heads against trees to get ready for you.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: sandilands

And ROB/PA Bowyer....... that first buck would have been a dandy...... if he didn't lose one side. Still nice buck, sounds like that boy had some character.
He'd been pushing 130" with both sides and a minimal 16" spread. The good side was almost 60"s.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Rob I have coined the phrase "Rob Buck"
Old 08-17-2008, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

You guys suck! Leave usalone.Some guys are just lucky and 'character bucks' yr after yr. Some are happy seeing good bucks even if they don't a shot. [:-]
Old 08-17-2008, 09:39 PM

I got into hunting late in high school and I have been deer and turkey hunting for six years now. I am very good at understanding turkeys but when it comes to deer hunting it just comes hard to me. The biggest deer that i ever have seen within bow range while hunting was a 120 inch 2.5 year old. He never presented a shot a and still to to this day have never taken a buck. But, it is not like I do not have great land to hunt cause I have over 500 acres in calhoun county illinois(just below pike county) to hunt on, and I have seen bucks that are well over 160 inches and right now there is a 185-190 inch typical 12 pointer on my moms property that I have seen for the last past 3 seasons. So I know they are out there, but I would be thrilled to get any of these bucks that you have gotten over the past few seasons Rob. I just wish I could get a decent buck within bow range. Heck, you never know maybe deer hunting isn't for me.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:59 PM

Rob,

If you ever go South one fall, we'll welcome you with open arms[8D]

Quick Reply: So, What's a Rob Buck? (explained)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.