Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

stoping the arrow in straw

Old 08-17-2008, 08:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default stoping the arrow in straw

ok i set my range up day before yesterday.
I missed the target and hit the straw. it went throught he straw and the only thing that stoped it was the broadhead hitting my siding on my house.

I had a piece of carpet over the staw figured it would help.
What can i set infront of the straw to keep my arrow from running through it or from stopping pass my fleacths thus tearing them off
Old 08-17-2008, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: stoping the arrow in straw

I take it you have a bale as a back up TIm?...do you have access to a metal banding tool? IF you put two bales together and band them real tight it helps to stop the arrow better.

Another idea is to check out the local lumber yard...the "blue board" that they have stacked together will work too. Alot of times, they have piecese that have been broken. Just a thought.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:17 AM

Just put a ratchet strap around the straw and put it as tight as it wil go. I think this should stop your arrows if its tight enough.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bowtech 360

Just put a ratchet strap around the straw and put it as tight as it wil go. I think this should stop your arrows if its tight enough.
X2. When I was still shooting into straw, I had three bales stacked, and a ratchet strap around them to keep them snug. My setup was also under roof to minimize the bale deterioation and keep the strap from dry rotting. The nice thing is over time to can resnug the bales by just making a click or two with the ratchet, and you're good to go. Just try not to shoot the strap
Old 08-17-2008, 08:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

i will try it i got a real long strap but it does not have hooks it is make to wrap around something them strap to itself
ORIGINAL: Bowtech 360

Old 08-17-2008, 08:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Straw is usually bailed fairly lose, try to get a couple good tight bails of clover or grassy hay.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:02 AM
Fork Horn

get some burlap feed sacks and fill them with old t-shirts and foam and other stuff as well as they hay this is what is in my magic stop and its tops them well.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Buckmaster519

get some burlap feed sacks and fill them with old t-shirts and foam and other stuff as well as they hay this is what is in my magic stop and its tops them well.
Thats what my brother does, works well.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:31 AM

A regular straw or hay bale from a farm is not going to stop an arrow from a modern bow, especially with a broad head on it. That was the problem with your carpet as well. If you do use carpet or a heavy tarp it needs to be on the back of the bale, not the front. It need to be able to move when the arrow hits it to absorb the energy. Putting it on the front will do nothing. Probably won't work with broad heads anyway because they will just slice a big hole in it. Works pretty well for field tips though.

The safest and smartest thing to do is shoot in a safe direction, never trust a backstop. Number one rule in weapons safety is knowing what is beyond where you are shooting. If you don't want to shoot your house don't shoot at your house, pretty simple really.

Paul
Old 08-17-2008, 10:41 AM

If you don't want to shoot your house don't shoot at your house, pretty simple really.

lol, X2.....

Quick Reply: stoping the arrow in straw

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.