Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

stoping the arrow in straw

Old 08-17-2008, 10:42 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: stoping the arrow in straw

I have 4 bales...2 in front and 2 in back strapped with ratchet strap with cardboard from a stand I bought last year covering the front. The target however is a burlap seed bag with an old couch foam cushion inside of it hanging in front of the bales.

Took black spray paint and painted 5 black circles on feed bag, so my target is the bag, and the hay is my backstop. If Im missing the burlap bag and just hitting the hay Im giving up bowhunting.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

A regular straw or hay bale from a farm is not going to stop an arrow from a modern bow, especially with a broad head on it. That was the problem with your carpet as well. If you do use carpet or a heavy tarp it needs to be on the back of the bale, not the front. It need to be able to move when the arrow hits it to absorb the energy. Putting it on the front will do nothing. Probably won't work with broad heads anyway because they will just slice a big hole in it. Works pretty well for field tips though.

The safest and smartest thing to do is shoot in a safe direction, never trust a backstop. Number one rule in weapons safety is knowing what is beyond where you are shooting. If you don't want to shoot your house don't shoot at your house, pretty simple really.

Paul
I wouldn't advise shooting broadheads into a hay/straw bale, but mine stopped field point arrows out of my CR334 just fine (365gr @260fps). Granted I had three cinched tightly with a ratchet strap. However, it doesn't take long to develop soft spots and holes, and eventually passthroughs, so you constantly have to move around the bales (never shoot in the same spot for too long). That's why I use a Morrell field range bag now[8D]
Old 08-17-2008, 11:29 AM

ORIGINAL: Buckmaster519

get some burlap feed sacks and fill them with old t-shirts and foam and other stuff as well as they hay this is what is in my magic stop and its tops them well.
This works best with old plastic shrink wrap. Save a bunch of it and just pack it in there.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

well it is at the house. at the main road. or one of two allys. or my garage.
not to many places to shoot around my house.
ORIGINAL: gamespooker

If you don't want to shoot your house don't shoot at your house, pretty simple really.

lol, X2.....