Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Great Mature buck thread

Old 08-18-2008, 11:36 AM

Default RE: Great Mature buck thread

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

"Ghost elephants" exist, too. Prove me wrong.
I know your kidding, but this kinda proves you have nothing left to argue your side when you stoop down to silly comparisons...is someone starting to give in and admit (to themselves, never publicly) that there are indeed bucks that go undetected...[8D]
Old 08-18-2008, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would have to say John knows as much, if not quite a bit more than most "mature" buck hunters on this site.

LT
Old 08-18-2008, 11:47 AM
Dominant Buck

I know your kidding,
Thanks
Old 08-18-2008, 11:55 AM

ORIGINAL: LouisianaTomkat

I would have to say John knows as much, if not quite a bit more than most "mature" buck hunters on this site.

LT
Yea but dont you recognize a trend here....what John was saying mimicks the same theories and ideas that alot of the mature buck hunters on this site are saying....maybe there truly is a reason for their success.

I do think that some posts give the deer too much credit though, a deer is an animal. It lacks reasoning skills, and complex thought processes. Some people forget we arent hunting humans when they go into talks of mature bucks. Sure they are on a totally different level than other deer, main reason I dont see them, but they cant reason. They cant come across a human scent trail, sit down and just think" Now what in the world is a human doing in here? timber isnt harvestable, no walking trails nearby, time of year isnt right for mushrooms, GASP, it MUST be a hunter"
Old 08-18-2008, 11:58 AM
Dominant Buck

T....you won't see "those guys" quoting some of the "other" things John said in that article, though.

Go back and look at my post a few back. There's a lot of thruth to THAT stuff, too.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:07 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

T....you won't see "those guys" quoting some of the "other" things John said in that article, though.

Go back and look at my post a few back. There's a lot of thruth to THAT stuff, too.
no doubt, but Im betting few here hunt truly unpressured deer. sure some guys have large tracts of land to themselves hunting wise, but it takes a large, large chunk of land to have an entire herd to yourselve, similar to hunting ranches like on tv, as john was referring to.

I think from what he posted in that thread anyway, that John is pretty much spot on on everything lol. I couldnt find a flaw in anything he stated but then again, Im a relatively new hunter with only 8 years behind me.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Eberhart rules.

Long live the tree saddle!

As somebody who hunts in northern MI I'd agree with this....

"There is also no doubt that in heavily hunted areas there are very few bucks that survive to reach the ripe old age of 3 1/2 years old, in fact I read some research a while back stating that in northern Michigan (north of US 10 in the timber area), 3 1/2 year old and older bucks make up less than 1% of the total buck population. If that were true there would be many areas each year where a 3 1/2 year old buck did not exist, I personally believe that. "