Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

QAD HD Rest setup

Old 08-16-2008, 02:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default QAD HD Rest setup

ok....

i got a new QAD HD sitting at home in the box...beside my bow....finally going home tomorrow and want that puppy on there ASAP...

figure theres enough users of the same rest on here that can help me make it quick and simple...and help me avoid headachs...likely going to the shop sometime this week...but id love to set it up myself just to get er going...sooo any help?? advice? tips? etc...

its going on a 2006 Reflex Highlander...

ughhh starting from SCRATCH a month and a half before the season....this is gunna be fun! lol...atleast im not switching arrows too...but the Viper sight needs finished(only got the 20yd pin on)...i was in the middle of working on a new form..and got the new rest.....ANd havent shot in probably 4 months...have no fear....mauser will get er done!
Old 08-16-2008, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: QAD HD Rest setup

Throw away the cable clamp that comes with the rest and put the rest's cable through your down cable about 3" or so below the rest. I tie in a nock above the cable and then draw my bow back and the rest cable will slide through to the proper position. (See attached picture) This gives you a low more adjustment and alsoputting those tiny screws on the clamp is a royal pain. The rest cable will actually not slide the down cablewithout the ball on the endof the cable. I just put it there to keep it from fraying.

Just make sure to follow the instructions and take your time.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx dave....i cant do that without a press [:@] maybe i'll use the clamp to get it close and take er to the shop to paper tune and see if he will be kind enough to press it for me...guy is real nice and seems to know his stuff...id let him do it, but i like the satisfaction of getting it done myself...lol...its a guy thing i guess? i just find that i learn alot and am learning to be less dependant on a shop by doing my own tinkering...when i "settle down" i plan to be completely dependant and not need a shop unless im buying a new bow....
Old 08-16-2008, 03:35 PM

Do you have to paper tune a drop away if you know its on centershot?
Old 08-17-2008, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

mauser,

You are welcome. Once the guy has the string between the cable you can move it around anyway you choose. You should think about getting yourself a portable press like the Bowmaster so you will not have to rely on a shop to press for you. I bought one last season and it was a great investment. Especially if you plan on doing your own string/cables.

Bowtech,

I always tune after changing out rests. However, I've noticed on my Bowtech that if I have the rest centered on my riser your left to right tuning should be dead on. Once you start shooting you can see if the bow is not in tune if you get fishtailing. At 30 or 40 yds you will see what's going on with the arrow. Also, your vertical alignment could be off. I usually use French tuning over paper. It's too easy with paper to think your bow is all screwed up when it's the Indian behind the bow. Also, it's a lot easier to tune at distance then it is through paper in my opinion.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

mauser I have the clamp and i have fired over 1000 shots with no issue at all. Plus when you adjust it's pretty simple. If you go this route put a piece of felt over the screws. I do this to avoid a shine.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx for the help dave and germ!!

i popped in the dvd that came with it and followed the instructions...eyeballed it since i had it pretty well tuned with the last rest...worked out pretty well! a little tweaking and i'll be set...

im in the process of bare shaft tuning right now since i dont have a paper tuning setup here...bareshafting is just as easy IMO...(never did it before...)

its showing a stiff spine...bare shaft arrow nocks are lined up with the actual aiming point(where fletched arrows hit) but points are hitting left...i know my spine is slightly stiff...but it shouldnt be THAT bad...going to try adjusting the rest a hair or 2...

really like the rest...i actually never played with one...just got enough great reviews its kind of a no brainer...really slick...i like it so far...no noise either...some reason i invisioned noise...

see if i cant work out the tune issue....hopefully i can get the bareshaft shooting nice and then see how Muzzys fly....i gotta get my arrows refletched so i'll have the guy at the shop take a look and make sure the timeing and everything looks good...but it seems to be clearing with blazers.

Dave, i know i need a press, fletching jig and some other stuff....i'll get around to it...just too much going on right now....and not a TOTAL need for it since theres 1000 shops within spitting distance. ya, i get charged heavy for somethin simple to do when i DO need to go, but im rarely there...
Old 08-18-2008, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Glad to help.

I shot slightly overspined arrows without any issues. I'm sure once you tweak the rest you will be in business. The HD model is far superior to the hunter model. I had the hunter model first and it kept sliding left on me every few 100 shots. I loved everything else about the rest so I bought the same model you have and it's perfect in my opinion. I have not had to adjust it since the day I put it on. I thought my rest was making noise after I nought it and then realized it was the rest of the bow. The rest itself is very quiet and hte fact that it holds the arrow there ready to go is nice. I bumped my arrows a few times in the treestand and was very happy to have the capture rest.

It does take time to buy all the toys that we'd like to have to work on our own bows. Good luck with tuning and good luck this fall.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx dave i didnt get to finish tuning...i havent shot in probably 4 months...(been at Cape Cod working all summer and silly me didnt realize id have a yard to shoot my bow in so i left it home!) but i fatigued quick...shots started getting sloppy...i know thats no time to tune a bow lol...

funny you mention bumping arrows etc....THAT is why i bought the QAD. i hunt from a summit viper 90% of the time...seen no reason NOT to keep the bow with arrow nocked laying across the front of the stand ready to go...opening morning here he comes...nice 2.5yo buck...would been a heck of a nice first bow kill....stood...he stopped 12-15yds very slightly quartering away...crease behind the shoulder was glowing from the way he was standing...drew...UhT OH!! i never put my arrow on the prongs of the nap1000..arrow was laying between the prong and riser...broadhead caught the riser, arrow popped off the string...so there i am...full draw with a arrow balanced on my finger that i managed to catch...couldnt nock it again though...he definently heard it...got it down without spooking him and was offered beautiful 20-22yd broadside shots...but he knew something was up and was alert and i was in a different tree due to wind that morning and it looked farther than it was..if i shot i woulda put the 30 on the heart...glad i didnt. but THAT is why i bought the rest...(and i found it onsale at cabelas for...90 or 100$!!)
Old 08-18-2008, 10:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I did the same as dave with my whammy and I highly recommend it but I was wanting to respond because of the statement about needing a press.I bought one of those cheap string seperators and it works great for things like this.I always thought this would damage the string but I was wrong.

This is what I used for mine and as you can see,no damage.

Quick Reply: QAD HD Rest setup

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.