Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

QAD HD Rest setup

Old 08-19-2008, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: QAD HD Rest setup

Good point about the separator. I use mine once in a while and as long asa person is careful on howhe/she works it through the string/cable it will not damage the string/cable. The worst I've ever done is frayed the string a little putting in a peep.

A lot of people seem to hate separators so I was hesitant to state the use of one.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mauser

I bought this online and the day it came, followed the video using the clamp. Next day I had a chance to shoot and followed the help on line for troubleshooting (which was much better than the one that came with the rest) and within 20 minutes I was shooting tight groups. I'm now shooting tight groups to 40 yards with great confidence.

I love the rest and it couldn't have been easier to set up.

Good luck and Good shooting

Old 08-19-2008, 08:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I just had the QAD set up on my Hoyt, and oh my god, I am in love.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

thanx tfox....ive always heard pretty bad stuff about the seperators...everything i read made them sound to be useless...might have to invest in one if i dont get a press anytime soon...
Old 08-19-2008, 08:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Most of the guys have covered it. I can add that I've used the clamp and the cable through the string and I prefer it through the string. Reason being is as you know in PA we've got more than our share of vines and stickers. They always seem to find that cable and I can tell you I got to my stand more than once and had to pull some thin vines out of the clamp. It also had me wondering if it got moved. It never did, but it's one more thing to worry about.

Great rest though. You'll love it.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx huntingbry.....but...couldnt the brush also pull the cord from the cable?? probably easier...? i know i got that clamp down prettty tight...i cant see it going anywhere...

good news....i got her dialed in today!! i absolutely gave up on bareshaft tuning....i eyeballed and eyeballed and ran strings from the cams, limb bolts etc etc trying to help eyeball...couldnt get a good bareshaft....

fletched arrows were flying 100% true from what i could tell and smacking with more of a thump than normal...going in nice and straight from close and farther ranges...i think the 3 or so inches right where the bare shaft impacts is just from the stiff spine...

got gutsy and half smart and screwed on a 125gr 3blade muzzy...fired...hmmm i think thats right where the fletched fieldpoints hit....let one fly...HA! about split the nock!! did it a couple more times and was 100% satisfied...got the sights dialed reallll close(was growing tired so i quit before REALLY getting nitty gritty..)

but boy thats a beautiful thing....i tried for DAYS AND DAYS last year and no matter what couldnt get my muzzys to fly with my field points...same bow...same arrows...different rest lol....who knows...but its where i want it....

arrows are being refletched right now...hopefully done tomorrow...thursday or so i plan on doin my 30 and 40yd shootin...i need to get my bow muscles back! but im pumped i got her shootin that good...

dumbie me forgot to leave a half inch or inch of spare cord out of the thumb wheel..think it would be easier to adjust there than to adjust at the clamp...BUT i could have the guy at the shop serve it in...i hate the look of the clamp if nothing else lol....

all the adjustments are down....timing shouldnt effect anything if its done right again...i cant decide...too close to the season...i hate messing with stuff this close...could never find that SWEET spot again...lol might just trim the extra cord off the clamp and leave it go for this year...can always get a new cord next season and have it served in...
Old 08-20-2008, 03:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

mauser,

I had my hunter model cord served in almost straight back from the rest right below where the cables cross and it still worked fine at close to 300 fps. You could givethat a try with the short cord and if the rest is not dropping fast enough have a longer cord put on.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

hmm didnt think the cord could go there dave...they said atleast 3" lower...but, if its in the right position, it shouldnt matter where its at i guess? i know to get that clamp to clear my other cabel i had to put mine somewhat low which leaves a good bit of the cord kinda...hanging out on my bow while i walk to my stand...pull it up the tree etc etc...i'll see what the guy at the shop says today...probably wont go out till tonight in hopes of my arrows being done....the rest of the shop is at the world shoot so hes by himself...said hed try his best to get them done for me today..
Old 08-20-2008, 02:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

well i got it tied on the cable....guy at the shop used a knot like you'd use to tie on a loop and above that is about an inch of serving to act as a stop i guess incase it would slip at all...didnt need a press or tools...served it by hand and pulled tight with an allen key to tie the serving...pretty slick and i dont see it going anywhere...the knot is tight...cord nice and short...im happy...

and...the 2 flo yellow and 1 orange blazer setup looks awesome...not gunna have problems seeing those babys!! not that i had trouble with other colors...im sick of green white and orange combos...everytime id redo my fletchings everyone else i knew got the same colors shortly after just by chance...i almost went with pink and yellow just to ensure noone had them...but i got a buddy that shoots pink for visibility lol...

now time to work on getting my bow muscles back and getting my pins dialed in and let the air out of a booner!