Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

2 bows legal?

Old 08-17-2008, 04:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 2 bows legal?

ORIGINAL: slayer_54

the reasn i would bring my compound with is for an insurance policy. our trail cam has picked up pics of a nice 8 pointer (his rack is jus as wide as his ears). and if he came by i know i could "probably" make that shot. but i dont wanna make that risk with that nice of a buck when i "know" i can drop him with the compound.

Then why even take the recurve? If you can shoot it with confidence at 20 yards then I would be sticking it with the recurve, but thats just me though!!
Old 08-17-2008, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you are missing the point of traditional gear. It is to test your skill as a hunter. There was no insurance back in the day. You either have to kill or starve. Today you just drive to the store and buy a steak. I would not take out both it is just not right.

ORIGINAL: slayer_54

the reasn i would bring my compound with is for an insurance policy. our trail cam has picked up pics of a nice 8 pointer (his rack is jus as wide as his ears). and if he came by i know i could "probably" make that shot. but i dont wanna make that risk with that nice of a buck when i "know" i can drop him with the compound.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:19 PM
Fork Horn

you guys make good points. i guess i never thought of it that way.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

the reason i would bring my compound with is for an insurance policy. our trail cam has picked up pics of a nice 8 pointer (his rack is just as wide as his ears). and if he came by i know i could "probably" make that shot. but i don't wanna make that risk with that nice of a buck when i "know" i can drop him with the compound.
20 yards is allot of people's limit when shooting traditional bows. The challenge of shooting and hunting with traditional bows is that you need them close, its part of the package, you either have to except it or maybe its not your cup of tea. I've been hunting with a recurve for 15 years now. A compound would of definitely helped me with a few dandy bucks that I passed on at 25 to 30 yards with my recurve, I'm fine with the decision though of shooting a recurve and except it for what it is. Either bow is a good choice for you but I'd bet you would feel pretty damn proud arrowing that buck with your recurve. If you do choose to take your recurve and he's at 20 yards and your not 100% confident in making the shot, don't take the shot!

Good luck!!
Old 08-17-2008, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's OK in California, & Arizona
Old 08-18-2008, 05:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Look into your laws but I see no reason why it shouldnt be as long it meets your states minimum requirements for draw weight.