Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stray shots?

Old 08-15-2008, 10:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Stray shots?

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

I've "yipped" a couple times. I'd miss the whole flipping block...by a lot. It was just some wierd "jump" as I went to hit the trigger. I haven't had one in a pretty good while now.
That'sexactly what happened today. It's very rare for me to do this, but I have done it before. It seems to come out of nowhere, and I really don't have a good reason for it.The three shots preceding it were in the ring, and the fourth one went haywire![:@]
Old 08-15-2008, 10:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I went through some horrible shooting last week. I was off every which way but on....6 inches here and there. Finally regained myself this week and am shooting fanastic. So I would say yes, one could be off by 1-2 feet every now and then on a single shot.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff, If your just starting out for the season you might try backingthe bowdown some for a week or 2. 1 to 2 feet is more than a punch, sounds like your dropping or throwing your bow arm at the same time. Most of the time its caused from drawing to much weight to start with, not being able to walk yourself through the shot process without dumping the arrow, then turns into a mental thing.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Definately not 1-2'.

I certainly have better days and not so good days, but bad days are a 7" group at 50-60 yards (10+ arrows. 1 or 2 flyers that open it up to that).

Best way to break what your doing now is to seperate the aiming and execution for a bit to clean things up. It's a bit of work but easy to do and will make you more consistant.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:07 AM
Typical Buck

everyone has a bad day I am sure. When I get to shooting bad I try to stop and think about what I am doing wrong. That usually fixes it pretty quickly. I do battle target panic and little though.

rick

Old 08-16-2008, 07:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

ive only been shooting going on 3 years....

but i dont have any problems like that!

did have major target panic once...missed my 3ft target completely....i put the bow away for a week...also learned that after i start to feel a little tired, i better just put the bow away...practicing tired does alot more harm than good...
Old 08-16-2008, 07:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Silver, I took your advice.I turned down mydraw weight by3lbs. Maybe my shooting muscles aren't tonedyet from not shooting, and I was fatigued? I'll see how things go today with a little less weight.