Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What is your driving force behind hunting?

Old 08-15-2008, 11:01 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What is your driving force behind hunting?

its kinda like this for me...if i go hunting, i might not see that buck of a lifetime. but if i lay in bed, i know for damn sure i won't see him. thats usually all the motivation i need.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

alarm who needs that. my body atuomatically get me up 10 min before the alarm goes off doe hunting trips. its just a natural reaction my grandfather told me about. he was the same way.

my driving force? the serenity. Seeing the sunrise and the forest come alive. the birds singing the squirrels gathering food. the tell tale sound of crunching leaves under a deer hoof. a mature doe appearing through the early morning fall fog. and being able to just watch her go along her daily busines. thats what its all about for me.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:59 PM

I don't know if I can "pinpoint" my motivations to hunt. Certainly, I like to fill the freezer. I can safely say that trophy hunting really does not fall into the equation for me. I've never been ashamed of any animal I've shot-they're all "trophies" and worthy of respect.Absolutely no hating here intended towards the true trophy hunter-it's just not mymindset. I just have some sort of internal "drive" to bowhunt. I had no childhood influences or relatives who hunted. Bowhunting developed into a passion and dare I say it, a lifestyle. Almost all my free time (and money) is devoted to it.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:03 AM
Dominant Buck

I've come to the realization that not all deer are "good" deer.

So, I'll do my part to rid the world of the unsavory among them.

This will be my new driving force.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:19 AM

I love hunting, along with that, I love nature in general. The feeling of settling in a stand in the early morning darkness and watching the woods come alive is as good as it gets. Just seeing nature "happening" around me, without the creatures knowing I am there, is awesome to me.

As far as waking up, I dont really have any issues waking up to go hunting. I may be tired, but knowing whats in store easily gets me out of bed.

Now class, thats another story
Old 08-16-2008, 12:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

At 52 I have the same urge to get away from civilization as I did when I was 12, when my alarm goes off, there is no hesitation. Its also not one thing that drives me, it is a combination of everything, the outdoors, camping, scouting, hunting, fishing...just everything...
Old 08-16-2008, 01:06 AM
Typical Buck

I love watching the woods come to life
Old 08-16-2008, 02:19 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: mauser06

i hunt because i WANT to....but always a different driving force....heck...some days, i wont lie...i dont want to...cold and raining, terrrribly windy, exhausted, etc...i'll shut the alarm off and go back to sleep...i will never let myself feel like i HAVE to hunt or MAKE myself hunt...i hunt for enjoyment...if i gotta force myself, how much enjoyment can i possibly be getting??

but one day i get up to have a good time with the buddies driving deer or hunting grouse...other days i wanna kick back and relax...others i am pumped up hoping the bucks are running hard...others im pumped to see the fall foliage...

i absolutely LOVE sunrises...most people make a big stink about sunsets....to me, sunrises are awesome...listening to the woods wake up...listen to the night time critters going to bed...there is absolutely nothing like a spring sunrise IMO...and to think....how many millions of people rarely even see the sunrise let alone be out there in mother nature expiriencing one unfold..just amazing to me.

i try not to let the little things pass me by....the red tailed hawk that nailed a bird out of sky and made a poof of feathers...the squirrels and chipmunks playing...the birds...the fox...whatever....i try to take it all in and enjoy it all...

yes, im out there to kill something...but i dont let that take 100% all of my attention and focus...i dont make it a chore to ensure something dies...i enjoy the kill....but i learned a lonnnng time ago that theres alot more to hunting than the death of an animal...

Hope ya don't mind...this sums me up almost perfect-- I saved this to my computer, lol
Old 08-16-2008, 04:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

I guess my driving force is simply hunting one of the big bucks I'm after. I love everything else thatgoes along with hunting. The woods coming to life, nature, sunrises and sunsets etc..... But ultimately I wake up every morning at 4:00am to hopefully shoot a big mature buck. If I dont', I'm driven more the next day to try again. I'll keep trying everyday untill they tell me I can't anymore. You can sit in the woods anytime and enjoy all the other stuff.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:54 AM
Typical Buck

1. The challenge of sneaking into an animals bedroom and killing them without them even knowing I am there.
2. Enjoying the outdoors

No particular order. That is why I do it.

rick