Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What is your driving force behind hunting?

Old 08-15-2008, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What is your driving force behind hunting?

For me it is tradition. My dad started to take me hunting when I was eight and I've been hooked ever since.

I compare it to how jacked up I get when college football starts. Something about the unknown outcome, being outdoors and good food.

Plus, I love the challenge of trying something difficult. These deer aren't dumb and where I hunt if you make one false move it's game over for you, not them. I can hardly sleep the night before hunting starts, because I have been waiting so long already.

Lastly, I guess it also boils down to the camaraderie. Getting to share stories around a camp fire and share others success is a blast. Also,to get to my hunting spot we must drive 3 hours, so it truly is getting away.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Many things,primarily watching the woods come alive in the morning.Witnessing things that most never have the opportunity to see.Watching nature,there isn't many other things that come close to that kind of beauty and serenity.
I sleep very well before hunts though.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have never had trouble getting up to go hunting! The main reason is I go to bed at a reasonable hour, usually no later than 10:00PM. I never use an alarm clock either. I just wake up. I thinkanother reason is I feel like I'd be missing something if I stayed in bed. I have had a few times where my plans were to go hunting, but decided to sleep instead. By like 7:00AM I'd wake and say, damn I wish I went hunting!
Old 08-15-2008, 03:49 PM

ORIGINAL: early in

I have never had trouble getting up to go hunting! The main reason is I go to bed at a reasonable hour, usually no later than 10:00PM. I never use an alarm clock either. I just wake up. I thinkanother reason is I feel like I'd be missing something if I stayed in bed. I have had a few times where my plans were to go hunting, but decided to sleep instead. By like 7:00AM I'd wake and say, damn I wish I went hunting!
Wow 10 oclock, your name suits you well, I dont go to bed till after 2 in the morning, Call of Duty 4 keeps me up.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:58 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: NCRemington700

What drives me to hunt? All of the things that everyone's already named. I love being in God's creation. Even if I don't shoot a deer, I love to watch them. Or watch the squirrels, birds, or whatever comes by. It's such a peaceful time...there's nothing like hearing the woods wake up in the morning. And when a shot comes, be it a buck or a doe....that feeling is unmatched in the world.

It's funny though, getting up to be at work by 8:00 is damn near impossible. But if I have to get up at 4:00 to go to the woods, I almost always wake up before the alarm...especially in the early season. Yep, I've got my priorities in line!
Agreed, I find it hard to get up except for when Im going hunting.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have no one reason.. but many.

The challenge of it.. between myself and the deer as well as nature. The sights of it.. only seen that moment by I.. the sounds.. the smells.

Sunrise.. sunset.. and everything that falls in the woods in between. Bitter cold mornings where your beard grows ice. Days so perfect in everyway that you never want to get out.

The philosophy behind it.. simple and yet somehow complex. The Canada geese trumpeting across the chilly evening sky.

Friendship.. family.. enjoyment.. manhood. Failure.. collapse.. inperfections.. disappointment. Joy.. emotion.. triumph.. jubilation!

It is theory.. it is religion.. it is history.. and all this the moment we reach with our intentions that shift from friend to foe. Predator and prey.

These are the reasons I do it. These are my reasons I love it.

(I'm such a SAP.)[&:]
Old 08-15-2008, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always just say to myself, I'm not gonna get a deer by laying in bed.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just not knowing the unknown for me, or maybe the "what could have been" aspect, I am the same way with fishing...if I was not there I am left wondering what I missed, Whether successful or not, whether it was a beautiful morning or nasty, etc etc....
Old 08-15-2008, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is from the first time I shot at a deer at 11 years old. 1986. From that day forward I have had the passion to climb my stand in darkness and enjoy the outdoors. There is a driven instinct in all of us to hunt....to open our instincts up, and focus on the goal of the hunt and enjoy mother nature along the way.....

Hunting takes me to a place like nothing else in my life...when I'm in the stand my instincts turn on and I'm at peace with myself. I love it...
Old 08-15-2008, 07:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

I have no one reason.. but many.

The challenge of it.. between myself and the deer as well as nature. The sights of it.. only seen that moment by I.. the sounds.. the smells.

Sunrise.. sunset.. and everything that falls in the woods in between. Bitter cold mornings where your beard grows ice. Days so perfect in everyway that you never want to get out.

The philosophy behind it.. simple and yet somehow complex. The Canada geese trumpeting across the chilly evening sky.

Friendship.. family.. enjoyment.. manhood. Failure.. collapse.. inperfections.. disappointment. Joy.. emotion.. triumph.. jubilation!

It is theory.. it is religion.. it is history.. and all this the moment we reach with our intentions that shift from friend to foe. Predator and prey.

These are the reasons I do it. These are my reasons I love it.

(I'm such a SAP.)[&:]
Good post!

Quick Reply: What is your driving force behind hunting?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.