Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

would you do it?

Old 08-14-2008, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default would you do it?

ok let me paint a picture for you. you are out in the woods in wisconsin where it is earn a buck and it is early morning and the deer are just starting to move. the first deer you see is a monster 10 point at least 150 inches or antler. you have not yet shot your doe, but you know for a fact that if you shoot this buck you could sit out that evening and kill a doe. would you break a law and shoot the buck before you have shot you doe for your earn a buck... i was faced with this decision last year with not such a big deer but i have never shot a buck with my bow only does and i passed up the oppoutunity to shoot the buck. but i knew that my land can produce a doe. i did shoot a doe that day by the way...never saw that buck again though...and the other ones i saw either didnt come close enough or didnt give me an ethical shot so i never got one... thanks guys

P.S
with my earn a buck out of the way this year with my crop damage doe i will have a buck tag by the opener.

and the doe i shot last year i let someone else tag because he the guy who lets me hunt on his land. so that is why i let him tag it. here is the picture of the doe i shot
[align=left] [/align]

Old 08-14-2008, 08:26 PM

Default RE: would you do it?

Nope, not only is it illegal, but I'd also lose my job if caught.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Integrity First - The Buck Walks.

Side Note. By letting someone else who had not shot a doe tag yours here in Iowa that would be considered aiding and abetting the commission of a crime. If he then took a buck without killing a doe first you could have lost your hunting license for five years. I know you were just trying to be nice to the landowner, but in reality you did no one any service by doing so. I'll probably catch crap on this one, but still integrity comes first.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

in wisconsin they dont care who shoots the deer as long as it has a tag on it i have told people at the registration station that i shot the deer and he tagged it they didnt care at all
[align=left] [/align]
Old 08-14-2008, 08:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'd probably let it walk but that "earn a buck" law that you guys have up there is a bunch of crap IMHO.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

If I were on land that I owned,I might have to question their reasoning. The situation would determine how I would respond.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: AF Hunter

Integrity First - The Buck Walks.

Side Note. By letting someone else who had not shot a doe tag yours here in Iowa that would be considered aiding and abetting the commission of a crime. If he then took a buck without killing a doe first you could have lost your hunting license for five years. I know you were just trying to be nice to the landowner, but in reality you did no one any service by doing so. I'll probably catch crap on this one, but still integrity comes first.
I think what he did is called party hunting. Is that illegal in wisconsin? I know in Indiana its illegal. Some states allow it though.

Wisconsin Regulations:
Group Deer Hunting Law
Group Hunting:
It is illegal to kill game for another person EXCEPT that during a
deer fi rearm season only
any member of a group deer hunting party may kill a deer
for another member of the party. Group hunting is
not legal for archery deer hunting.
All participants
must be licensed and each must possess a fi rearm. Members of a
group deer hunting party should also agree in advance that a tag holder is willing to
use their tag on a deer killed by another member of the party.
The following conditions are established by law to ensure that hunters are actively
participating in the hunt, are in the fi eld and do not harvest more deer than the group
has tags for:
1. A group deer hunting party must be at least 2 or more hunters who are hunting
together within sight or voice contact of one another at all times. Temporary loss
of voice or visual contact for a reasonable time due to terrain or weather conditions
is acceptable. Hunters may not kill deer for persons who are not out in the fi eld
actively hunting with the party or are at other locations apart from the area where
the hunter killed the deer.
2. Group deer hunting
is not allowed to fi ll the special free Antlerless Deer Carcass
Tag issued to fi rst-time Hunter Education graduates.
3. Hunters may not use cellular phones, special free radio communications or other
mechanical or electronic amplifying devices, (except hearing aids) to get someone
to tag a deer. It is legal to use electronic devices for reasons other than getting
someone to tag a deer.
4. The hunter for whom the deer is killed must possess a valid, unused carcass tag for
the type of deer killed.
5. The hunter killing the deer may not leave the deer unattended until after the deer
is tagged and the tag is validated according to the deer carcass tagging instructions
(page 17). A hunter is attending a deer if the hunter can see the deer.
6. Convicted felons cannot participate in group deer hunting or allow use of their
tag by anyone else. Deer drivers are not required to possess fi rearms or hunting
licenses.
7. Adults may
not gun deer hunt during the October 11 and 12 youth gun deer hunt.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

it would be tough, man it would be tough, honestly i might shoot that buck if i knew that i could shoot a doe within a couple hours and if itwas on myown land, but idk
Old 08-14-2008, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Arrow released my friends, arrow released without an ounce of hesitation.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Suppose you saw him in theheadlights "just" 15 minutes before shooting time?

Is there a difference?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.