Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wisconsin-ites Fraley, GregH, others...

Old 08-14-2008, 07:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Wisconsin-ites Fraley, GregH, others...

What do ya know about Unit 28 in the North woods.

Anything you can share generally or specifically would be appreciated.

My Cousin a resident of Beloit, wants me to come up in Sept for a 3-4 day DIY hunt up there.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:25 AM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Wisconsin-ites Fraley, GregH, others...

That is way further north than I have ever hunted deer. From what I've heard, the deer are not as densely populated as other parts of the state and that the age structure is better balanced. Area 28, I believe, is big woods hunting. Really big! No crops, maybe hay but no corn or beans. You might want to talk to magicman or DAN. They are more familiar with the north woods than I am.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah my cousin refers to it as the big woods, he's done it a few times with no success but some great pictures and stories. Load up the ATV's with tent and supplies and go miles back. Sounds like an adventure.

Bump it up for one last trip through..Tony, Magic, Dan..and others??
Old 08-15-2008, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

it is always fun to do that even if you dont shoot anything. but up north the woods up north is very hilly with alot of gullys and ravines. if you can find one with deer sign hunt it they will walk across the tops of those gullys instead of taking the energy to go up and down...want any more info pm me. my family has been hunting up north for a very long time i can always ask there advise for you too good luck!!
[align=left] [/align]
Old 08-15-2008, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

From the WI DNR;

Unit 28
Unit 28 (Ashland/Iron Counties): Bounded on the north by Lake Superior from the eastern boundary of the Bad River Reservation east to the Michigan border near Superior Falls and southeast along the border to Hwy 51 at Hurley. Bounded on the east by Hwy 51 south to Co FF. Bounded on the south by Co FF from Hwy 51 west to Co F and continues west to Hwy 13. Bounded on the west by Hwy 13 from Co F north to Hwy 169 and the Bad River bridge on Hwy 169, then north along the Bad River to the Bad River Reservation's southern boundary, then east and north along the southeast and east boundary of the Bad River Reservation boundary, to Lake Superior.

I've hunted unit 17 for 30 years which is SW of where you are going. Not sure what the terrain is like in 28. Unit 17 is big woods and not much for farm-crops. Doesn't matter though your still hunting in WI!

Last Revised: Thursday July 10 2008
[/align][/align]
Old 08-15-2008, 08:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Huntinman thanks for the offers..as thing come together, I'll definetly pick your brain!

Thanks Janesburg, I've read that and looked at the map..thats a long way up there.

Season wise my cousin says it's like 3 weeks advanced from say NE Ohio. He says by Mid Sept leaves may be well on the way to changing ect. You agree with that and more importantly do the deer? When would prime hunting conditions occur based on the rut? Mid Oct?
Old 08-15-2008, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would say from Halloween thru the 2nd week of November is prime.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never hunted in that zone, but I have hunted in zone 35, 2 east of yours. The hunting was terrible. No one in the camp I was at saw anything. And that was the 1st time ever in the years they have been doing that. I would kind of expect 28 to be the same.