Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

first deerhunt ever in Missouri

Old 08-14-2008, 06:14 PM

Default first deerhunt ever in Missouri

I'm from Kansas and I'm heading out to Missouri for my first everdeer hunt. It will be on private land, and i can go whenever I want and however often I choose. The season starts Sept. 15th.
I chose to go with the bow instead of firearm since it seemed more enjoyable to me. I've been practicing like mad, but i'm curious as to what I should know about this particular area as far as times and terrain.
I'm not looking to bag a big buck. I'm a meat in the freezer kind of guy and if I can get a doe in close I'll drop it right off then spend some other weekends up there chasing a buck.
I'll be hunting close to a creek bed and soy field. I'm able to hang a tree stand if I would like to, but i don't know much about that either.
So, in summary, I'm going on a deer hunt with nothing but a whole lot of practice with my bow and I'm completely ignorant in everything else. In short, any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-14-2008, 06:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: first deerhunt ever in Missouri

Missouri has a ton of different terrain. We need to know what part of MO you're going to be in, better yet, what county?
Old 08-14-2008, 06:50 PM

going to be in Grundy county, it's about 1.5 to 2 hours NE of Kansas City.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:42 PM

Your going to a good part of the state. I am about 45 minutes east of Kansas City. I would probably hang a stand but if you prefer hunting off the ground that is perfectly fine. The number one thing I would pay attention to is the wind.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:49 PM

well i've never hung a stand before. I know nothing about hunting the wind etc. so if i should grab a stand, what would you suggest? also, how do i hang the damn thing without getting myself hurt.
i was going to grab a harness from a member on here with the giveaway, but i ended up working too many hours and i'm sure it's probably gone by now.
again, i appreciate the responses as I'm totally clueless. thanks
Old 08-14-2008, 10:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm also about 40 min east of kc.
time wise it will be awhile before rut kicks in. or anywhere close to it.

id hang a stand somewhere ner the edge of the bean field. signs of where they are entering or exiting the field. ie: look around for small paths that seem to head into nowherespots where the tops of the beans are missing. most likely they are hitting the edge of this field right before nightfall.

Or if you have a ground blind set it up near these areas as well.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:50 AM
Fork Horn

Since you will be new to the property I would just get a climbing tree stand that way you a very mobile unlike with a chain on that you have take down and make all the noise to move it around.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:57 PM

thanks for the replies guys

mo...is a groundblind a better option for this area?

and if a treestand is the better option, what type do you guys suggest for someone as clueless as me