Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

laws in regards to shooting bow

Old 08-14-2008, 08:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default laws in regards to shooting bow

Hey, I live in a community of free standing condo's , at it is around a industrial parkway,,so there is a small pond and fields seperating them from the community , my question is would i get in trouble for target shooting with my bow around these areas? or do you know how i can find out if I can or cannot shoot in this area? has anyone ever been in trouble for shooting their bows within certain restrictions? I have property where i shoot but its about 1.5 hrs away , and with the season approaching I wish to shoot more then on the weekends? any suggestions/feedback
Old 08-14-2008, 09:00 AM

Default RE: laws in regards to shooting bow

Call the police and ask, then get it writing.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would check with your local police. I belong to a sportsman's club and our property is within city limits. A few years back we wanted to build and archery range, but we were advised that shooting archery equipment was against code. I know many people that live in town and shoot in their back yards and most of the time there is not a problem. However, if something were to happen, they would be on the hook for it.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:08 AM
Fork Horn

I will phone the police, and will let you know the outcome, as I sure with everything else these days it will be forbidden,, Its pretty secluded back there , I guess now im asking what would be the penalty if any,,IfI were caught.I would hate to "educate "the police , as im sure they would rather respond to a call of more importance then a fellow bowhunter sharping his skills, and I have the upmost respect for the police, so no disrespect.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:56 PM

If you are within the city limits it will most likely be illegal. In most places Bows and BB guns are considered firearms and if you get caught shooting them it would be the same as discharging a firearm in the city limits. Not always the case though so I would for sure call and ask.

Paul
Old 08-14-2008, 04:26 PM
Fork Horn

I live in the city and i shoot my bow in my front yard. My stepdad is head of the probation department here and my mom is a lawyer and they have never said anything but that is down here as im not sure for your area
Old 08-14-2008, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I live in the city and shoot mine down my driveway towards my garage. My buddy has an empty lot next to his house and he got ticketed when he shot there. Maybe they just haven't seen or got complaints on me yet.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was leaving work the other day and as i pulled out from the light of our very busy shopping center(walmart supercenter right beside us) i see some guys huddling around these block out beside the super 8 motel. a second glance saw their bow on the ground and they were shooting right in the middle of town. not for sure why or if they got in trouble.