Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

blazer vanes and whisker biscuits

Old 08-14-2008, 07:19 AM

Default blazer vanes and whisker biscuits

I was looking into buying new arrows.The guy at gandermountain said if you use a whisker biscuit you want blazers because with the 4 inch vanes you have that much more friction and thats why they tear fletchings. No the guy at the sporting goods store told me you dont want blazers becuase when you get farther out away from the hole in the hisker biscuit the brissels get thicker. and the blazers will go farther away from the hole and into the thicker brissels. So whos right?
Old 08-14-2008, 07:25 AM

Default RE: blazer vanes and whisker biscuits

Blazers are an excellent choice for use w/ the WB, because they are more rigid than standard vanes, and hold up MUCH better. As long as you shoot cock vane up and avoid a fletch going through the black bristles at the bottom, they work beautifully. I don't know what in the world
No the guy at the sporting goods store told me you dont want blazers becuase when you get farther out away from the hole in the hisker biscuit the brissels get thicker. and the blazers will go farther away from the hole and into the thicker brissels.
this guy is talking about.....Regardless of what you shoot, the vanes have to travel the full distance of the biscuit anyway. The only bristles that are different are the black ones at the botto, and that's to support the weight of the arrow. As long as your vane doesn't go through those, you're fine.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

i have shot both vanes and couldn't tell enough of difference to matter. i mean the blazer will probably gain a few fps.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:04 AM

I shot last year with with the 4" vanes through my WB and didn't have a problem, they were great!! This year i decided to go to blazers and im having the same success, good groupings up to 30 yrds, it just seems like the blazers seem to kick the arrow when in flight!
Old 08-14-2008, 09:28 AM

I've shot both and there really is no significant difference. I did like the arrow flight better with the blazers though.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go with blazers, you won't be sorry.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:24 AM

I shoot blazers through a WB and have no issues. I only started shooting a month or so ago and put 5 arrows in a 4 inch poe plate easy at 30 yards.

BJ
Old 08-14-2008, 10:43 AM

I shoot blazers through my WB. Ihave used them for about 4 years now, without any problems. They are much better through a WB than regular 4" vanes. Most everyone I know and talk to have switched to blazers because of how much better they are.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:47 PM
Spike

The fellow that told you the bristles get thicker further from the hole is full of it. Think about it. Simple geometry. My arrows are fletched with 4 blazers. Works great. Feathers also work good with the biscuit. Any stiff plastic plastic vane works well. What you don't want to shoot is rubber compound vanes (Duravanes) which unfortunately what most arrows come fletched with. This is where all the stink about whisker biscuits came from a couple years ago. The rubber vanes grab on the whiskers creating heat, crinkling the vanes, slowing the arrow down, and throwing the shot off. Duravanes became so popular because of their flexibility, which was needed on old style prong rests. This flexibility also causes the vanes to flutter, which causes loss of control. Thats why the short stiff Blazers control as well as duravanes. Yada Yada Yada.......
Old 08-14-2008, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Blazers and Whisker Biscuits go together like peanut butter and jelly...

While there may be a few exceptions, for the most part the guys at Gander Mountain are no more knowledgeable than the kids working at the shoestore in the mall when it comes to archery.

Quick Reply: blazer vanes and whisker biscuits

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.