Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Whats the highest youve ever hunted from..?

Old 08-14-2008, 05:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Whats the highest youve ever hunted from..?

25 feet is about my max. I don't like high places all that much myself. I use a climber mostly. Seems like every year I go through the same break in period. Early in the year after having not sat in a stand for months I'm not comfortable much above 16-18 feet. As the season goes on and the vegetation dies off I start getting higher. I'm usually 18-22 feet. I seek cover from tree limbs, pulling in small under brush trees with a rope and tie them off to my stand or tree. Sometimes I work bushy limbs into the stand and climb up with them for cover.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

i had a forest gump moment one morning i my climber.. " i jus kep climbin an climbin"... when i stop my 20 foot bow rope was prolly another 15-18 feet off the ground.. that lasted about 20 minutes an i thought to my self this is nuts.. im goin down a bit.......
Old 08-14-2008, 06:17 AM
Dominant Buck

Dave.....

The fact that you were dragging a bow didn't clue you in?

Aaron.....I've hunted from 15' and I've hunted from 25'. I can tell you that "I" would be trimming some underbrush. 30' is getting too high for my shot angle preference. I'm not so concerned about your safety...if you're staying tied off () the entire time......but I can attest to some steep angles and it not being "ideal".

"IF" you're looking at ducking inside a field edge.....and you think your shot opportunity is going to be in the 18+ yd range.....I might consider it. For "normal" hunting situations, though.....I just think you're asking for trouble (with the angles, only).

My .02.....just be safe.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

I was in IL on a guided hunt a few years back. They put me in a stand that was pushing 30'. I couldn't have stood up and drawn on a deer if I wanted to!!!!!
I usually am 15-20' high, depending on the area... occasionally a bit higher w/ my climber...

Old 08-14-2008, 06:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

15-18 is max for me also. Granted, going higher may help in the scent and being seen scenerio. However, the benefits of a good shot angle outweigh them to me anyway. In other words, I'd rather be busted then not have a good shot angle. Good cover is essential. Keep in mind that I won't shoot past 25 yards.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:32 AM
Dominant Buck

15-18 is max for me also. Granted, going higher may help in the scent and being seen scenerio. However, the benefits of a good shot angle outweigh them to me anyway. In other words, I'd rather be busted then not have a good shot angle. Good cover is essential. Keep in mind that I won't shoot past 25 yards.
Your choice of tackle probably plays into this, as well. I won't go above 15' for my first year really shooting traditional gear. The angles (at a higher point) would make me REALLY nervous. I'm not that good.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Your choice of tackle probably plays into this, as well. I won't go above 15' for my first year really shooting traditional gear. The angles (at a higher point) would make me REALLY nervous. I'm not that good.
It's hard for me to say exactly. It would be correct in that I would not want to shoot though a lot of bone that would be encountered on a step downward angle. Whether I'd really want to with a compound is hard for me to say.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

35 was the highest. Big oak tree.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:50 AM
Typical Buck

In my neck of the woods its hard to get higher than 18 feet without running into limb probloms with a climber.
In a 2x4 built stand it`s usually 15 feet
Old 08-14-2008, 06:50 AM
Dominant Buck

I guess what "I" was eluding to Bob.....it the precise-ness (is that a word?) required to shoot from those angles. I'm just not comfortable with my abilities with traditional equipment to knowingly reduce the vitals area by adding in a lot of angle. With my compound.....I'm comfortable at 23'. I won't go nearly that high with the longbow.

I've seen your groups, though. Respect.

Quick Reply: Whats the highest youve ever hunted from..?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.