Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Whats the highest youve ever hunted from..?

Old 08-13-2008, 10:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Whats the highest youve ever hunted from..?

You would be fine Aaron with your angle at 20 yards. You get under 15 yards and it might be a different story then. The highest I've hunted from was about 25' or so. I shot 2 different doe's from this stand. One was at 21 yards (angle was perfect) the other was at 15 yards (angle was perfect as well). Its nice to get high up there but I'd rather say around 20' instead, I feel a little more comfortable. Be careful If you do it!!
Old 08-13-2008, 10:46 PM
Typical Buck

I staked out a pefect tree in a creek bottom where it gradually starts to ridgeline about 80 ft up on two directions. I bought two 16' climbing sticks. After the firts was us, and I was on top of that one placing the second one, I decided on only putting hlf on the top (8'). Thats pretty damn high, plus the hieght put me at a great cover spot.

The thermals are what bothers me, especially where Im going to hunt this stand. When Im standing on my stand, it appears that Im at about eye level with the start of the ridgeline, but if Im not high enough at that point, forgetaboutit.

I actually used the other 8 ft section on an old hanger today. 4 poplars were growing together and if you stood in the middle, you could rech up and start the stick about 6 '. With the help of some screw in steps, I got the stand at about 14-15 feet. I dont want to go higher because its their escape from bedding and Im in aout the tallest tree. I almost settledfor about 12 ft.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:35 AM
Fork Horn

High as a kite, that's my limit. I don't like to go above 25- 27, 18-22 is better.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:43 AM
Fork Horn

I usually hunt between 25-35 feet. I don't like going that high, but because of the terrain and the type of trees present, to be any lower and the deer would pick you off. The highest stand I have this year is about 30 feet to the platform. Even that high I don't feel like I am high enough.

In order to get a better idea of what I am talking about, you can see pictures of one of my stands from last fall below. It is my second highest at 30 feet (the highest is one addition 4-foot ladder section).

http://s514.photobucket.com/albums/t...av_album_album
Old 08-14-2008, 01:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

My stands are usually all right at 15 feet. The woods are just too think to go higher (and thats as high as my climbing sticks go ). I did hang a stand this year that would be about 20, and the highest i ever hunted was with my cousin. He had screw steps going up about 35 feet and had 2 hang on stands on opposite sides of the trees. Pretty scary for a 16 year old at 5 in the morning to navigate We did get to see a pack of coyotes chasing does....but thats another story
Old 08-14-2008, 01:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Heigest I have ever gone up for hunting was 23/24 feet up and Ihave beenhunting out of it for the last 2 weeks of bear season!
Old 08-14-2008, 02:45 AM
Fork Horn

Ive got a lot of 15' ladder stands and a couple with 4' add on sections. I usally gun hunt out of them, and I put blinds on them so you can get away with some movement. When I use my climber Im usaully about 20-25 ft. up.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Funny you should ask! One morning I was climbing well before daylight. I got to where I thought I wanted an settled in, daylight came around a little while later. Well, I must have rested good that night because I put my rangefinder on ft. instead of yards. According to the rangefinder it was 37 ft. I usually hunt around 17 to 28ft depends on cover.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've killed Bighorn Sheepand Mt. Goats above 13,500 feet. I hope to someday kill a sheep in Asia above 17,000 feet (I pray it's sooner than later). As far as white-tailed deer are concerned, I've killed them from minus four to 24 feet.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

25 feet but i usually go to about 20 feet

Quick Reply: Whats the highest youve ever hunted from..?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.