Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Would you try to avoid it??

Old 08-13-2008, 08:19 PM

Default Would you try to avoid it??

Would you or do you try to avoid shooting button heads?? I try to avoid it, but I have done it. Nothing wrong with it, but I would like to see what they may become.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Would you try to avoid it??

I never shoot a button buck unless I truly mess up and I cannot tell you the last one I ever shot but I know it was way back in the early 90's and that was on a farm where the farmer asked us to do some serious thinning.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am 0 for 0
Old 08-13-2008, 08:27 PM
Dominant Buck

I shot one....but I try to avoid it.

This was a piebald BB fawn......and the rumor was he was threatening small children in the neighborhood.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot one, it was my third deer with a bow. I don't mind shooting a doe fawn but I will make sure I glass everything very well that isn't a mature doe. I won't shoot unless I'm sure.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Only if I thought they were going to take over the planet!
Old 08-13-2008, 08:35 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

Would you or do you try to avoid shooting button heads?? I try to avoid it, but I have done it. Nothing wrong with it, but I would like to see what they may become.
I do try to avoid it and I agree there surly isnothing wrong with shooting one if legal,but to avoid shooting a button buck strictly for the purpose of seeing what he may be when mature is pointless if you shoot that same buck at 3.5 years,JMO.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:51 PM

treboryerf that is a good point. Here in south east Va deer rarely make it to 3.5 yrs old b/c of the amount of dog hunting clubs. Most clubs shoot what is legal without checking the age of a deer before they shoot. Plus the bucks are often running full speed when shot. Hard to tell. I would like to see how big some of these deer would get if they did get to reach 4.5-5.5 yrs old. This is a 4 yr old according to the taxi,I shot 11 yrs ago, wonder what he could have been? He may had a few more years in him to grow, but I couldn't pass him. The 15 pt was alledgedly 7 yrs old according to the taxi, but I have my doubts.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:25 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

treboryerf that is a good point. Here in south east Va deer rarely make it to 3.5 yrs old b/c of the amount of dog hunting clubs. Most clubs shoot what is legal without checking the age of a deer before they shoot. Plus the bucks are often running full speed when shot. Hard to tell. I would like to see how big some of these deer would get if they did get to reach 4.5-5.5 yrs old. This is a 4 yr old according to the taxi,I shot 11 yrs ago, wonder what he could have been? He may had a few more years in him to grow, but I couldn't pass him. The 15 pt was alledgedly 7 yrs old according to the taxi, but I have my doubts.

Both r good bucks and mature,that is what you want to do is let them get to at least 4.5 years old,if not you may as well shoot that button buck,no difference than shooting a 2.5 year old if your goal is to shoot mature bucks,if that's not your goal then fire away,nothing wrong with that either,to each his own.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

ya them dang whitetail deer are out to get us.
Most need a long stay at hotel gitmo
lol
ORIGINAL: Sliverflicker

Only if I thought they were going to take over the planet!

Quick Reply: Would you try to avoid it??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.