Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I have a calling question

Old 08-14-2008, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I have a calling question

Its cool we know what ya mean.
and i'll be the first to admit THEY DONT ALWAYS WORK. i have one piece of land that i hunt that i have tried calling and it was not as successful as other places. but it was worth a try.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:51 AM
Typical Buck

Hence , the name of the post....my question was not if some or all of yo believe in calls. Its which works this early in the season. I have ad great luck with buckgrunts and doe bleats in Mid November to Mid December, but Im concerned that not much will be reacting such early in the season other than maybe a fawn bleat to let a buck know a doe is aroud the corner....somewhere.

Maybe like some have said, do nothing, but Im bringing my A game the first day. If its a fawn bleat, Im gonna try it. I know rattling, tending grunts, even doe bleats are a little later on in the season.

My main concerns is what stages the deer are in. Woould this be considered pre-pre-rut? or just normal activity at this point in the game?
Old 08-14-2008, 07:52 AM
Dominant Buck

Woould this be considered pre-pre-rut?
No.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you saw 10 bucks in one sit.....you saw more in my woods than I've ever seen in 2 sits, combined. See how I treat my friends!
If you remember, I saw more than I stopped counting deer at 75 in the one morning sit and two evening sits. I saw that buck in the am then at least 9 skirting to and fro in the edge of the park and such.

You did treat me well.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

ORIGINAL: Hoyt_Viper

Our archery season is October 4th. I know thats pretty close to, but not close enough for pre-rut.

What works early in the season, bleats? Grunts?
In PA, I've grunted in bucks from the beginning of the season to the end of the season. Contact grunts work year around if they are interested. Couple that with contact bleats in early season. I will NEVER enter a woods for the purpose of hunting without a grunt call.
You sound allot like my brother Rob. My brother lives, eats, and drinks his deer calls. He's excellent with them and has had great success with them. I for one have had just the opposite luck. I've actually had better luck burping (Imitating a buck grunting) then I have using calls. This year I'm giving it my all being I went out and purchased a bunch of calls this winter. I picked up some MAD calls- Grunt Snort And Wheeze, Buck Growl, Heat Bleat. I am really interested in the Snort and Wheeze and Buck Growl and I plan on using them as the rut nears this fall if I'm still with out a buck yet come that time.
I bought my first deer call when I was 15, 26 years ago and at the time I don't even recall if grunts were available. The one I bought was a wooden call resembling a duck call and it was strictly a doe bleat. I called in an amazing amount of deer with it and I wish I still had it.

Almost ever single deer I've taken, and more specifically, ever deer I mounted came to the call and I may or may not have ever killed said animals without it. I've called bucks from over 250 yards walking away from me right to bow range. I've called does in, I've called in bucks only to let them walk away and call them back again. That 04 buck I missed twice and called him back in to kill him on the 3rd shot.

They don't work every time but when they do it can be like a magnet.

Most times it's two grunts, one to get their attention, the second to pull them in.

If I get a chance I'll make a calling tutorial, not HOW to but what works for me. I don't think there is a real HOW TO, but definately some successes.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

One tactic that has produced bucks for me in the past during the pre rut or rut stage...

Take the estrus can and roll it over 3 times...Wait 3-4 minutes and give 3-4 grunts with your grunt tube...Don't make the long agressive grunt, go with the shorter grunt...What you are trying to do is mimic a doe saying, "I'm looking for you big boy, where are you?"...Then the buck comes looking and he is saying "I'm here darling, come on over..."

This works especially well near a cutover or a bedding area...I've had bucks get up from the bedding area and come looking for the hot lady...
Old 08-14-2008, 08:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

If you saw 10 bucks in one sit.....you saw more in my woods than I've ever seen in 2 sits, combined. See how I treat my friends!

I saw 4, total, last YEAR.[8D]

Honestly, Rob.....you made me nervous as hell with all the calling you were doing, that evening. The can call is absolutely still foreign, to me. I've tried it.....and it's just never been a producer.

I hope it works for you here, this fall. I'll end up taking my grunt call once or twice this year......maybe more ion the new properties.

I wish you luck!
Jeff, I just thought of something and it may or may not be the case, we'll never know but maybe the reason I did see so many bucks was the calling. They came looking but didn't commit. Who knows it could have been right place, right time but that was an exceptional 2 evenings in a treestand.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I too always have a grunt call with me, even in the early season/opening days. My buddy called in a buck last year the second week of September.

Even if you aren't blind calling early in the season...it's not a bad idea to have your call with you. You might just pull that buck in from 50-60 yards to 20-30 yards with a couple of soft, contact grunts. It can't hurtif you weren't going to get a shot anyways!
Old 08-14-2008, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

simply put .....early season -2 doe bleats. it has always brought does in. of course if your looking for a buck it may not work as well.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:44 AM

I carry my rattling horns with me from the second week of sept after the bucks are out of velvet they start sparing and testing each other to see what head gear each has and to form there pecking order. I don't do any agressive rattling until mid oct but will tinkle the horns together. I have also used grunt calls and "the can" to call several bucks in. Bucks do go into lock down and there seems to be a time when deer movment does slow some but if you don't try you'll never know.

Quick Reply: I have a calling question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.