Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I have a calling question

Old 08-14-2008, 05:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I have a calling question

Yorue bleat is going tobe your best choice of a call during any season. Theres a great story on bleat calls in the last issue of Deer & Deer Hunting.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:09 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

ORIGINAL: Hoyt_Viper

Our archery season is October 4th. I know thats pretty close to, but not close enough for pre-rut.

What works early in the season, bleats? Grunts?
In PA, I've grunted in bucks from the begining of the season to the end of the season. Contact grunts work year around if they are interested. Couple that with contact bleats in early season. I will NEVER enter a woods for the purpose of hunting without a grunt call.
What he said.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:45 AM
Dominant Buck

Your herd dynamics will be a big factor in determining whether or not calls will be successful, for you.

Around here.....having a buck respond to a grunt call is akin to asking Brad Pitt to leave Angelina, Marissa Miller, Jessica Biel and Pam Anderson .....for a tussle to gain the possible affections of a"mystery woman".

I'd take my chances with the sure things I was with if I were him, too
Old 08-14-2008, 06:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Your herd dynamics will be a big factor in determining whether or not calls will be successful, for you.

Around here.....having a buck respond to a grunt call is akin to asking Brad Pitt to leave Angelina, Marissa Miller, Jessica Biel and Pam Anderson .....for a tussle to gain the possible affections of a"mystery woman".

I'd take my chances with the sure things I was with if I were him, too
But they also don't hurt. In your woods I called to every buck I saw, roughly what 10 or so and only one responded enough to call. They all listened, did not spook but were just too busy to come. BUT that one that did, offered me a shot I wouldn't have had otherwise. They are not full proof, but they do work even in your neck of the woods. At least one in 10 times it did. LOL
Old 08-14-2008, 07:01 AM
Dominant Buck

If you saw 10 bucks in one sit.....you saw more in my woods than I've ever seen in 2 sits, combined. See how I treat my friends!

I saw 4, total, last YEAR.[8D]

Honestly, Rob.....you made me nervous as hell with all the calling you were doing, that evening. The can call is absolutely still foreign, to me. I've tried it.....and it's just never been a producer.

I hope it works for you here, this fall. I'll end up taking my grunt call once or twice this year......maybe more ion the new properties.

I wish you luck!
Old 08-14-2008, 07:02 AM
Site Buck Guru

I will NEVER enter a woods for the purpose of hunting without a grunt call.
Same here, couldn't have said it any better.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Hoyt_Viper

Our archery season is October 4th. I know thats pretty close to, but not close enough for pre-rut.

What works early in the season, bleats? Grunts?
In PA, I've grunted in bucks from the beginning of the season to the end of the season. Contact grunts work year around if they are interested. Couple that with contact bleats in early season. I will NEVER enter a woods for the purpose of hunting without a grunt call.
You sound allot like my brother Rob. My brother lives, eats, and drinks his deer calls. He's excellent with them and has had great success with them. I for one have had just the opposite luck. I've actually had better luck burping (Imitating a buck grunting) then I have using calls. This year I'm giving it my all being I went out and purchased a bunch of calls this winter. I picked up some MAD calls- Grunt Snort And Wheeze, Buck Growl, Heat Bleat. I am really interested in the Snort and Wheeze and Buck Growl and I plan on using them as the rut nears this fall if I'm still with out a buck yet come that time.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:20 AM
Typical Buck

There is probably a rule against this or something but here is a link to a couple of DVD's that i am selling on Ebay right now. One of them is called: The Art of Calling "A guide to calling deer".

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=150282898024
Old 08-14-2008, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used the buck growl along with a rattling sequence to call in 3 different bucks in less than2 hour. only one shooter but the fact that all this calling was done blind.

My thought is how do you know if its gonnawork you or not if ya dont try it first?
Old 08-14-2008, 07:27 AM
Dominant Buck

I hope I didn't give the wrong impression....because I KNOW they work.

I grunted in a P&Y caliber buck from over 100yds in PA.......and got him to 22yds. I know it works. Rob's herd dynamics are DRASTICALLY different than mine, also.

I have experimented with them, here, to no avail. Like I said.....my reasoning is (putting my deer hat on).....WHY would I leave a bunch of ladies I already have......for th e"possibility" of a tussle over one someone else already (seemingly) has?

I dunno.....I may be swayed to change my tactics.....and a piece of new land may do that. I just didn't want anyone to think I felt they were useless. I know better.

Quick Reply: I have a calling question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.